Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Heater Turn On ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Heater Turn On ?

Hi to all;

Opened pool today and water temperature is at 42 degrees. Pool boy said to wait until the water temperature is 50 degrees to turn on heater to prevent condensation. Heater manual indicates that if heater is turned on below 50 degrees it should run continually until water temp. reaches 50 degrees. Sounds like both are accurate but just wanted to confirm.

Thanks for any info.

Gary R.
    18 X 32 Oval Inground Gunite Pool 20,000 Gallons Epoxy Painted in 2012
    Tagelus Sand Filter TA 60 D/TA 60-Hayward Super Pumps 1 H.P.
    Ray-Pac Heater 266,000 BTU, KLeen Machine Pool Cleaner
    Solar Cover-Rocky's Pool Cover Reel-Intermatic T104R Timer
    TF-100 Test Kit-PoolSkim Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Heater Turn On ?

I don't understand why you want to turn it on at all right now.

It will take at least six hours of running full blast to get it hot enough to shut it off. That's a lot of $$$ for nothing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Your facts are correct, but like Richard320, I don't understand why you would want to turn on the heater right now. The warmest it might be able to get the water is around 60 to 65 degrees, maybe a little more, until the weather warms up some more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the usual good responses.

It going to be 80 degrees in my area over the coming weekend so was hoping to get pool heated but probably a bit premature on my part. Will put the solar cover on wait for Mother Nature to do her work.

Regards,

Gary R.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just a follow up question:

What is the appropriate water temperature to begin heating?

Thank you,

Gary R.

6. Back To Top    #6

20,000 gallons = 165,000 lbs of water. So 165,000 BTU per degree. Or, to convert to $$$,
    1 therm = 100,000 BTU Check your gas bill to see how much you pay per therm.

1 degree rise (in a perfect world, everything 100% efficient, no heat loss to evaporation or warming the concrete shell) will cost you 1.65 * price per therm. I'd at least double that. 83 is a nice temperature for swimming... Do the math - it's whenever you can afford to heat it!

For me, just heating up the hot tub for an hour or so ends up jacking my gas bill by about five bucks.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!