Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie needs Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie needs Help!

Okay I have read Pool School and every topic under it. I have printed out all the information and made a binder to keep handy. BUT, our AG pool is being installed next week and I live in Kansas (aka weather is always changing). I imagine it will be a good month to 6 weeks before its close to pool season. So when installation is complete and pool is filled, what do I do?? Do i start with the BBB method right away. This may sound like a silly question but I really dont know what to do. Thank you in advance. :P
    18x33ft oval AG, 15,000 gallons
    22" BlueWave Sand 1.5hp
    04/2013
    I use and endorse the TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie needs Help!

Quote Originally Posted by KansasGirl000
    Okay I have read Pool School and every topic under it. I have printed out all the information and made a binder to keep handy. BUT, our AG pool is being installed next week and I live in Kansas (aka weather is always changing). I imagine it will be a good month to 6 weeks before its close to pool season. So when installation is complete and pool is filled, what do I do?? Do i start with the BBB method right away. This may sound like a silly question but I really dont know what to do. Thank you in advance. :P
    Yes.

Just follow the instructions for opening. You want everything you can control ready to go for when the weather - which you can't control - cooperates.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, KansasGirl000

Richard gave you good advice...here are my thoughts:

You are starting off right since you are reading pool school

Two things I can think of that you can be doing now:

1. Get the appropriate test kit: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison
    2. Test your fill water with the above kit to get experience and to understand what you will be starting with. The TA and CH tests are most important. If you suspect metals in your water (i.e. if you are on a well or if you get a lot of staining on your plumbing fixtures, etc.) then you should get that tested.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay I guess I skipped the "Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools" but i have printed it out and will add it to my pool guide. Thanks for your help! I am buying one of the recommended testing kits and i think i will test my tap water (which is what will be filling the pool) and see what kind of readings I get. Thanks!!!
    18x33ft oval AG, 15,000 gallons
    22" BlueWave Sand 1.5hp
    04/2013
    I use and endorse the TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net

5. Back To Top    #5

That is a good article, but for step 5 using the dichlor...my preference is to get cya up using granular stabilizer and using liquid chlorine/bleach for achieving and maintaining FC levels.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.