Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ever Heard of Using Root Out in Pools?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ever Heard of Using Root Out in Pools?

Hi guys - long time no type to. Some people around me are using a product called "Root Out" in lieu of algaecide in their pools and swear by it. It is a product designed for septic tanks. Any of you experts know anything about it?

Still have ultra high CYA on pool opening but I'll just have to work on it little by little like last summer.

Jim
    14 X 28 vinyl lined IG pool with Hayward pump/filter, an Aqua Genie skimmer and a TF test kit.

For the first five years I thought pool maintenance was a snap. Little did I know what my future held using stabilized chlorine. BBB from now on....... you live and learn.
    P.S. Understand that when you ask questions the answer may not be one you like.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Root out is copper-sulfate. It's an excellent algaecide, but of course it carries all the problems of copper in pool water. Green hair and staining of the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    There isn't normally any need for algaecide, so no need for an alternative. If you maintain proper chlorine levels you won't get algae, so why bother with algaecide?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Good points, John and Jason. The wife and I have an aquaintance who has a new pool and has had a friend tell her to use Root Out as an algaecide and I had never heard of it. I have faithfully used algaecide once/week since I had my pool constructed but I agree, Jason, now that you have have informed me, why use algaecide at all when proper chlorine levels prevent it?

Thanks Guys - Jim
    14 X 28 vinyl lined IG pool with Hayward pump/filter, an Aqua Genie skimmer and a TF test kit.

For the first five years I thought pool maintenance was a snap. Little did I know what my future held using stabilized chlorine. BBB from now on....... you live and learn.
    P.S. Understand that when you ask questions the answer may not be one you like.