Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Home owner with a pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New Home owner with a pool

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a new home a few months ago (Feb) and now with spring arriving with warmer temperatures I have started to research about in ground pools. I have never previously owned a pool so I don't know much, but I tend try to do things on my own before contacting a professional. Well I really don't want to screw anything up with this pool cause I am sure any repairs would be very costly. So I am here to ask is it feasible to open my pool on my own this year with the pool in its current conditions which I will post below and the other information is in my signature.

Now I am using the pool strips that the last home owners had in the pool house and it doesn't provide all the information that I am sure you guys need but it is a start.

Total Hardness - 0 - 50 ppm
    Total Chlorine / Bromine - 0 ppm
    FC / Bromine - 0 ppm
    TA - Low 0 - 40 ppm
    pH - Very Low 6.0

Water Condition: Very dark. Cannot see bottom and it smells like a sewer.
    Pool condition: I have only had the cover off 3/4 of the way but the sides of the pool are not in very good condition. Some of the edging is coming off and I can see black residue where the water begins. It does look as if the pool was winterize due to the pink solution in the skimmer and from what I can see all the plugs are in the pool and filter. Also the water is about 6 inches below the skimmer, the filter is cleaned out, and all electric to the filter/heater is shut off. Another thing, as I am sitting here I am still not 100% sure what type of pool it is (Fiberglass, Vinyl, or cement) When I knock on the stair case coming out (at least the top step) is hollow. The sides feel like hard plastic when I knock on it.

I feel like this pool is in need of drainage and a extremely good scrubbing. I was quoted +-$300 to open it up this season and that includes chemicals, but I think it is going to be a lot higher when they come to see this pool.

Thanks in advance for any insight on my situation, and if you need anymore information let me know I can also post pictures if needed.

Brandon
    Fiberglass/Concrete IG
    Pool Size: 16500 gallons
    Filter: Hayward S244T Pro Series Top-Mount Sand Filter
    Pump: Hayward 1 HP Super Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Home owner with a pool

What did your home inspector tell you about the pool? You have a lot of catching up to do. Read pool school at the top right of this page. You then need a water test kit. Get one that is recommended here. Soon someone here will give you advise on cleaning up your pool. Good luck. Soon you will be swimming in a beautiful pool.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

3. Back To Top    #3

He didn't inspect the pool because everything was still frozen solid.
    Fiberglass/Concrete IG

4. Back To Top    #4

Definitely need a better test kit. The strips are worthless. Go to tftestkits.net and order either the TF-100 of K-2006. While you are waiting for it, read Pool School a few times. If there is any solid junk on the bottom, you are going to want to get that out. After you get the good test kit, you will have to go through the shock process listed in pool school.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

5. Back To Top    #5

Alright, well I just ordered the Taylor K-2006 Test Kit. Looks like I am going to learn on the fly. Anything else I can do in the mean time to give you guys better information or help the process along or in order to continue I need accurate results? Ill continue to re-read the Pool School Guide.

Thanks,

Brandon
    Fiberglass/Concrete IG

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Ill continue to re-read the Pool School Guide.
    That's probably the best thing you can do for now. When your new kit gets in, post up a full set of test results and we'll all help you have a great swim season.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I just wanted to make it clear that this pool is not in very good condition and I still think it would be good idea to drain it. My reasoning is that the water is completely black as shown in the picture below. Secondly even though it is holding water (about 6 inches below the skimmer) there seems to be a lot of patch jobs (terrible patch jobs) especially around the skimmer. It seems like it would be a good idea to scrap the shotty job the previous home owner did and re silicon and check for other cracks. I will post pictures of what i mean when I get home today.

[attachment=0:amcigw68]Optimized-IMG_20130401_190516 (1).jpg[/attachment:amcigw68]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fiberglass/Concrete IG

8. Back To Top    #8

I believe there is a better way to do repairs around the skimmer. American Leak Detection mentioned an epoxy repair (not epoxy patch) that's permanent. It might be worth talking to someone skilled in repairs before you do anything with silicone.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

If the pool surface is in need of repair, then it makes sense to drain it.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quick question while I am waiting for the Kit. Is there a way to tell who manufactured my pool? Serial Number? On the stair case there is the letters P|C with a sea horse logo, and that is the only thing I have to go off. I am sitting at work thinking about what type of pool I have... The stairs are hollow, but now that I think about it the sides are plastic, with seams...

Thanks,

Brandon
    Fiberglass/Concrete IG

11. Back To Top    #11

Still waiting on the kit.. Mean while what should be done about this horrible attempt of patching?
    [attachment=0:35wjn1zz]Optimized-IMG_20130402_175154.jpg[/attachment:35wjn1zz]

Thanks in advance
    Fiberglass/Concrete IG

12. Back To Top    #12

OK so my test kit came in and the numbers are as followed:

FC - 0
    PH - < 7.0
    TA - 25 ppm
    CH - 90 ppm
    CYA - < 30 ppm

Also I have been looking around and I can't find the lid to the pump... My Motor is a A.O Smith and the filter is a Sta-Rite, but I am unsure of who made the lid? I figured it would be A.O Smith but when I look up the Model # it only gives me the motor... I did a lot of Googling and came up empty handed. I measured the brim and it measures 6 3/4. Anyway of telling what size lid I need?

Edit: Found a Model Number on the bottom of the trap. I got it.

Thanks,

Brandon
    Fiberglass/Concrete IG

13. Back To Top    #13

Bump. The pump lid came in today so the adventure begins. Numbers are in previous post. Do I just follow the shock process?

Thanks
    Fiberglass/Concrete IG

14. Back To Top    #14

Check to see if your pump works and such. Be sure the mechanicals are in working order before dumping in your chemcals.

Try to manually remove debris, if any, in the pool. Hopefully you have a Pool net or skimmer to be able to do such.

Follow the process- you will be successful!
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

So I just took the intake plug out of the skimmer and there are a bunch of rocks? Just vacuum them out I suppose.
    Fiberglass/Concrete IG

16. Back To Top    #16

Where are the rocks? Do you mean with a shop vac, right?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes with a shop vac and I believe its the intake.
    [attachment=0:3std26ft]20130410_185603.jpg[/attachment:3std26ft]

The bigger unplugged hole.
    Fiberglass/Concrete IG

18. Back To Top    #18

You know what there's a lot of gravel... Could it be that there's a broken pipe underneath.. Cause the rock I'm sucking out isn't any rock that I have around the pool
    Fiberglass/Concrete IG

19. Back To Top    #19

if there was a broken pipe, the rocks would not be coming up through the pipe.

What was the history of the house? Wonder if someone was angry (or kids) that dumped rocks down the pipe.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

Previous owners had kids. Also from talking with the bank The couple just walked from the house.
    Any tests I can do? I'm filling the pool as we speak. Haha I was super excited about getting this up and running. Hope I didn't hit an expensive road block.

Thanks.
    Fiberglass/Concrete IG

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast