Need Advice on New IG Pool in Tucson - Thx!

Apr 1, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Hello Everyone, I am completely new to pools and TFP and so am really hoping for your input on the new IG pool I want to build! The weather is starting to heat up here in Tucson and so I'm Very Excited about getting the pool going. Just hope that waiting a few extra days and running everything by you guys will yield some good advice before I sign a contract...

So here's what I'm leaning towards on the pool (will also try to post a few of the design pics):

-As you'll be able to tell from my equipment, if you're in the area, I'm leaning toward Presidential Pools as my PB. Would definitely appreciate anyone's views on them or other companies you may have gone with.
-Simple, mostly rectangular, IG pool, roughly 9x28, need to find out how many gal. White Interior plaster mix finish. Don't have much flexibility in shape/size due to electrical wires and other site limitations, though the wires could be moved to give the pool a more traditional 14x24 area. Am told that moving the electrical wire underground would run about $1,000. In any case, I do like the rectangular shape...
-Equipment specs: Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed 3050 pump, Pentair 420 cartridge filter system, Blue Square Q360 In-floor cleaning system
-Pool will be located right next to existing patio, so I'm planning just a 2' red brick decking. Two of the (non-patio) sides will probably have grass beyond the decking, so that should provide a little extra out-of-pool play space if needed. Am also planning to brick the patio to match the decking, since it needs to be resurfaced anyway...
-In-floor cleaning system: Yes, I've read the mixed reviews on this site, but I'm a single mom with 3 young kids and also am disabled, so I really need a system that requires minimal effort. I'm also right in town, and there's not a whole lot of dust here, but bringing a kreepy crawly in and out of the pool on a regular basis is just not possible for me. Also, with 3 little kids, one of those robot things would likely be broken in no time. That said, I'm open to other opinions...
-Re some of the details, am thinking 3' depth in shallow end to 5' in deep end. Also planning one 3' bench in deep end, at the height of the second step. Two more benches are incl in base price, but since the pool is already on the small side, I don't want to interfere too much with the swim area. One pool light in the middle of the pool. Three, squarish steps into the pool from the patio. No spa, no SWG, no water features.

Thanks very much in advance for whatever info/suggestions you have. Have already learned so much from this website!!!

Sunshyn

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 349
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 349
Welcome to the forum. :lol: I would seriously consider relocating the wiring to get the extra five feet. That's 50% more pool, and unless there are some other considerations, moving the electric would be well worth it.

Welcome to TFP neighbor!!!

I had a in-floor system at previous house. It did an OK job, but dirt tended to collect in a few areas that would either have to be brushed toward the deep end to get sucked in or be manually vacuumed (I did this while in the pool with snorkel gear ;)) I would suggest you seriously consider have a normal set of wall returns that are independently valved at the equipment pad (not part of the in-floor manifold). This will allow you to maintain circulation if a problem developed with the in-floor system and would allow the use of another form of cleaner if the future dictated a change.

With the long pool, I would suggest 2 lights. I replaced my single bulb with a color LED one, well, the reds just do not travel very far in water, but no way to add a second light. Should be a fairly cheap option to add the niche now than regret it in the future.

Last note ... seriously consider how hot that red brick is going to get in the sun. I had a few flagstone steps that would easily blister feet if you walked on them with dry bare feet. I just don't want your kids to get burned while trying to enjoy the pool.

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :lol: I would seriously consider relocating the wiring to get the extra five feet. That's 50% more pool, and unless there are some other considerations, moving the electric would be well worth it.

Amen! 9 feet just sounds dry narrow for me.

Welcome to tfp, sunshyn :wave:

I'm with the others above, unless all you want to do is swim very short laps, that pool width is not very desirable. $1000 is a very small amount in the total expense of having a igp installed.

I agree with the others. Maximize your pool space as much as you can now before it's to late.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate your comments! And nice to see some other Tucson folks here :) Yes, the size is one of the main things I've been debating in my head. You guys have me convinced now about re-routing the electric wires. Jason, as far as putting in a set of wall returns that are independently valved, you and the advice I've read in other posts here have me convinced that that's the way to go. Just need to talk to the PB to add that to the estimate. Also, what would you recommend instead of brick? I was told that pretty much everything gets hot here in the Tucson summer... Though maybe some materials get hotter than others...

I would echo what other have said about maximizing the pool area. Growing grass in Tucson isn't worth the hassle. If you really want a grass area it should be synthetic grass. I have a pool that is 3 1/2 ft at one end, 5 ft in the center, and 4 ft at the other end. We like it, but if I had to do it again it would be 4,5,4. No one seems to stay in the 3 1/2 foot water. I would also recommend a salt water chlorine generator, to reduce your maintence.

Travertine pavers are supposedly cooler I think. I have only had the kool deck coating for concrete.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Add me to jblizzles advice on the inground system.....save your money to widen the pool or for something else. The forum over the years has seen many reports of inground cleaning sytems that are troublesome. Not that they are ALL bad, by any means, but there are simpler, more cost effective ways to clean your pool....like an autovac.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The red pavers will indded bee too hot for bare feet in July when you want to use the pool the most. I noramlly would not want concrete/kooldeck due to cracking, but since your deck is so small, it might be better. There are a lot of options for cooler decking here in AZ starting with travertine and some specialty products like Artistic Pavers Shellock but they can get pricey. I'd look at all the options but defintely not use the red pavers.

We're going with Presidential (3-25-time-lapse-video-shotcrete-new-pool-build-phoenix-t54925.html) and will be using Travertine for the decking. It's definitely one of the cooler options but I'm sure when its 112 outside it will still be hot!

At some point we're also going to add some artificial turf, although I've heard that it can also get very hot since its basically plastic.

And I'll back you up on the in floor cleaner. Our build isn't finished yet so maybe later I'll eat my words. We've had neighbors and have seen how well their systems worked. In our last pool we really tired of pulling the vaccuum in and out, as well as buying replacement parts. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

To help with maintenance I'm planning on adding a stenner pump so I can use bleach.

Thanks everyone so much for all the excellent advice. A couple of updates on where I am with the design: Have decided to go with your suggestions and spend a little more for one of the cooler decking options. It'll probably be either travertine or flagstone; they're both the same price. I like the look of the flagstone a little better with my house style and so would be interested in hearing people's opinions on how it holds up as decking in the hot desert sun. I probably wouldn't seal it as I don't want the headaches and expense of resealing, and also it seems from others' experiences here that sealing can make it more slippery.

Re the in-floor system, The PB said it would be no problem to put in a set of wall returns that are independently valved, though am a little concerned that he said there'd be no charge for that. I'm definitely not complaining, but it strikes me as odd that they'd do it for free... Am I missing something?

Lastly, on the electrical rerouting/pool size, I'm having some issues. I've talked to 3 electricians, and they're all saying that moving the overhead electrical wire underground is more like $4,000 ballpark job, not $1,000. That is a big difference to me. I know some of you are going to say it's worth it and just knock out the in-floor cleaning system, but Im having doubts. The in-floor system is $1,675 (they're running a special right now), and I feel like I need it on account of my medical condition, explained above. Anyway, the electrical issue has me stumped for the moment. One of the electricians I spoke to is supposed to come by and see if there are any other less expensive options, and I'll let you all know once I hear.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments. Keep your fingers crossed for me on the meeting with the electrician...
Sunshyn

Hello Everyone, Sorry for the long silence. Have been trying to figure out what to do about my pool and also the regular demands of life ;) Anyway, it's a no-go with the electricians on moving the wires; they're quoting me minimum of $4-5K. So have decided to stick with the current design. Also have had a couple of people with pools come by and take a look at the layout in the yard, and they say the swim area is plenty big (definitely not huge, but I have a smaller size yard anyway so thats fine). Anyway, blue stake and all else is done, so digging begins next week! Am super excited! Will post pics when that happens, maybe on a new thread... Oh, and I also went with the travertine, per all of your suggestions :) Thanks again everyone for weighing in, and wish me luck for next week!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.