Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with Borates and TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with Borates and TA

Thanks in advance!

Ok, I just added borates to the pool. I followed the directions on the site but ended up with a borate reading of 80. Do I have to drain immediately or can I just let it go down throughout the year as I backwash?

Also, is what is the ideal TA with water with a high CH? Someone told me I need to keep my TA at 100-120 because CH in our water is typically high (250-450)

Cl 5
    PH 7.6
    TA 70
    CH 250
    CY acid 50
    Temp 70
    Bor 80
    15.5k pool, BBB method used, Plaster in ground pool, DE filter, full sun in Boerne, tx, NO SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Help with Borates and TA

"Someone" doesn't know what they are talking about.

CH of 250 is not high.
    TA of 70 is a good place to start which should reduce the pH rise.

The higher TA recommendations only make sense if you are using trichlor pucks which drive the pH and TA down because they are so acidic.

I do not know if the high borate level matter or not (someone else will have to chime in).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Help with Borates and TA

80 ppm borates should be fine per this post:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.