SWG Corroded out Metal Pool

Pleakpool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 21, 2007
Pleak, Texas
We have a 24' above-ground metal pool. Had a SWG about 5 years now. Love the water and want to keep the salt as one of my kids has severe eczema and this is so much better for her than chlorine.

But - the pool is a rusty mess. The top galvanized rail (under the plastic rail) is pretty much all gone - it started corroding 2-3 years ago and we vacuum/net out chuncks of rail constantly. Plus there are holes rusted through the walls now (started last year) and we are not going to push it anymore - they have gotten too big.. The liner is still in good shape, but I'm taking the pool down. I've got a couple of possible replacements lined up on craigslist, but I am wondering - how do I prevent this again?

Is there a coating I can protect the metal walls/rails with? Does this happen to all metal pools that use salt? Is it something I know I have to replace the pool every five years? That seems like it would be a bit expensive, not to mention a big pain in the rear.

First, saltwater pools are chlorine pools. It is also pretty surprising the the low salt levels would have caused this problem by themselves. Was the pool only 5 years old as well?

I do not know much about this, but there are composite pools that are supposedly better with the salt than the metal ones. But we really do not see many complaints like yours.

No, the pool was a couple of years old when we bought it. I believe it was previousl y a Baquapure pool. But we put in a new liner, new gaskets etc.

I didn't think we would have to go with a composite pool. But then I read all the threads about needing stainless steel fittings, and pump parts so I don't know.

It is impossible to tell at this point, but the most likely possibility is that the pool was made out of an inferior grade of steel that wasn't really suitable for outdoor use in the first place. The great majority of pool owners have no problems at all with metal frame above ground pools using SWGs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.