Newly remodeled pool has leaks.Short story long!

Apr 1, 2013
I recently had my pool with attached jacuzzi and backyard remodeled. I went with two different companies, one to do the hardscape(pavers on the deck),coping and another to do the tile and pool surface,new autofill,overflow and cleaner line. This was cheaper option for me. I wanted to go with one person for all the work but by me acting the role of the general contractor I found it to be cheaper and I could also get two companies that were highly rated on Angie's List. Before the remodel began, I did not notice any leaks, just normal evaporation. I had a pressure test done by my pool person during/after the pool demo and there were no problems according to them. According to my pool person, on top of checking for current leaks in the plumbing a side benefit of doing the pressure test would be that if the paver company damaged the plumbing I would know. After the pool was demoed, the paver people did their work and then the pool people finished the tiling and the pool surface. During the pool surface I noticed the water level in the jacuzzi going down a lot when the pump was off. I could tell there was a leak in the jacuzzi because we would lose about 3 inches of water a day but I was not sure about the pool because we now had the auto fill installed. I then noticed that the pool was losing about a 1/4 inch of the day after turning off the autofill. I went with a leak detection company through the recommendation of my pool remodeler and regular pool maintenance guy(they are good friends). I got the results of the inspection and the bid to repair the work. The inspection and the leak repair come out to $4,000. There are three issues: 1) There is a leak in the jacuzzi under the pavers in the plumbing of one of the spa jets.2) There is a another leak at the bond of the the skimmer to the pool wall.(They recommend replacing the skimmer.Potentially can be fixed by epoxy through another source) 3) My pool valves at the pool equipment need to be replaced. My pool remodeler requested to see the bid but after looking at it he recommended I go with the leak detection company's bid.

I am not sure whose fault it is or if it is anybody's fault for the leak. I am not a pool contractor or plumber but intuitively I feel that the paver people may have damaged the plumbing in the jacuzzi when installing the pavers. This is based on the successful pressure test performed by my pool person. To a lesser extent, I also feel that the pool person may be responsible for the problem with the skimmer since they installed the tile. When I asked the pool leak people about whose fault the skimmer might be, he stated that it would be the person who installed the tile. As far as the valves go, they do need to be replaced to make sure that we have taken care of all the potential leaks.

My question is do you think I have basis to my claims or should I stick it in my ear or other places where the sun don't shine? These are highly regarded businesses and I don't want to damage their reputation on Angie's List with a bad review needlessly so I would appreciate some feedback.Thanks and regards.

Talk to the paver company, don't place blame. See if you can work to an amicable resolution on the leak in the spa plumbing. Same way on the skimmer leak. It is in both parties best interest to work together to reach a solution that makes both parties feel that they won. Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.