Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often does the salt cell need to be replaced

1. Back To Top    #1

How often does the salt cell need to be replaced

How often does the salt cell need to be replaced on the CompuPool CPSC36?

How about other chlorinators?
    27K gallon vinyl in ground pool, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often does the salt cell need to be replaced

It is difficult to predict how long a cell will last on a specific pool. It has a great deal to do with the relative size of the pool and the SWG. Larger SWGs will last longer than smaller ones when used on the same sized pool. Typically a cell lasts three to five years, but it can vary from that by quite a bit.

All of the above applies to most brands.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So would you expect the cell to last 3-5 years on a CompuPool CPSC36? I'm trying to decide which SWG to go with. My pool is a 26k IGP with a liner.
    27K gallon vinyl in ground pool, sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

That is the expectation for all brands.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Just be aware premature failure is a real possibility on all of them, there was just a message here over the weekend with someone commenting that they are now on their 3rd cell in 3 years..
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

I believe most cells are rated on 10000 hours at 100%, but many factors come to play. 3-5 years is a good estimate.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jfoscue
    So would you expect the cell to last 3-5 years on a CompuPool CPSC36? I'm trying to decide which SWG to go with. My pool is a 26k IGP with a liner.
    We generally recommend sizing the cell for 1.5-3 times your pool size. So that 36 might be slightly on the smaller side (interesting that the Australian brochure lists this for 120,000 liters = ~32k gallons, but the US stores state up to a 40k gallon pool looks like it must be a slightly different design offered here).

A larger unit will cost a little more, but should last longer as the cell will not require as much run time ... hard to say definitively if the larger one would last longer enough to offset the higher cost, but it seems too.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I only have my SWG for 2 years but I found out the best thing to do is read pool school
    and Pool Water Chemistry, I purchased the TFT-100 test kit and that is the best thing
    I have done,it is not hard to keep your pool balanced once you get it there.if you let the pool get way off it
    can cause you many problems that you can avoid and save money.
    12,000 gal. 14x28 Inground vinyl liner (2004), 1 HP. Jacuzzi magnum pump,
    Raypak heater, Jacuzzi laser sand filter,Autopilot DIG-220 SWG, 35/22 cell,
    TF-100 test kit,K-1766 saltwater test kit, speedstir