Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: replumbing pumping station (change to 2 inch?)

1. Back To Top    #1

replumbing pumping station (change to 2 inch?)

I have 2 skimmers and a main drain that bring 3 1.5 inch pipes with union valves on each.....then the 3 pipes that together prior to the pump. I am changing the valves and was wondering if I should change the pipe from 1.5 to 2 inch where the 3 pipes come together. I also have 3 returns with 1.5 inch pipe as well.

Will I get any advantage to changing to larger pipe to the pump? Or would I need to change all the pipes in the pump, filter and heater area to get any advantage.

I have an old picture attached (when the pool was new)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 23K IG Liner, Pentair intellipump vf, 48DE filter, Heatpump, SWC, aquabot turbo T, K2006 Testkit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: replumbing pumping station (change to 2 inch?)

There is a small advantage to changing even a small section of the plumbing to 2". However, the improvement is small enough that it probably isn't worth bothering with unless you are redoing that section of plumbing anyway.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: replumbing pumping station (change to 2 inch?)

Jason thanks for the quick reply. Do you think I should put the new unions valves in the same place as the existing ones or where the pipes come up verticle?
    2008 23K IG Liner, Pentair intellipump vf, 48DE filter, Heatpump, SWC, aquabot turbo T, K2006 Testkit