Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't shock pool

1. Back To Top    #1
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Can't shock pool

Things are looking a little dull, so I thought I'd try shocking the pool.

I plugged in a blowdryer and dropped it in the pool but there's no change. What am I doing wrong?

April Fools!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sunny SoCal

Re: Can't shock pool

My thought... Improper bonding!
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

You need to dress up in a scary costume and then appear suddenly from behind something and say "Boo" loudly. If you do that correctly a few times all of the algae will die from fright.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Lake Nona, Florida

Many modern blow dryers had integrated GCFI so it is possible that the blow dryer switched off while leaving the main power on and, of course, the pool did not get the shock you were hoping for. If you can find an old blow dryer at a garage sale or Craig's list you should buy it. Otherwise I think pool stores sell a pool shock rated blow dryer, but they are expensive and don't always work.

Has anyone tried shocking using a toaster oven instead of a blow dryer? The pool guy said that with a high CYA a small appliance shock would never work and I needed something bigger. Do you think he knows what he is talking about?
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

5. Back To Top    #5
    East Texas

Maybe we need a new section in pool school to cover that issue? Some sorta electro-chemical imbalance I think.

You may have to be IN the pool in order to detect it too!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

SW Ohio

i think i know why your approach did not shock the pool correctly, i bet you did not use a blow dryer with the proper wattage for your size of pool, come on man get with the program here i'm new and i even know that i read it in pool school....proper wattage for shocking your pool........LOL
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

7. Back To Top    #7
    North Florida

Mayhap you should have gone skinny-dipping to really shock the pool?

That's what I would do!
    ~31k gallon 18x36 IG, Vinyl LoopLoc Sahara, Hayward C-750 75sq' Cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS3050, SGS Breeze760 SWG, Homemade Aerators, SmartPool Nitro 52 Wall Climber, TFT100 XL, Borates, and a partridge in a pear tree :)

8. Back To Top    #8
    Eastern Ohio