Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: air in solar heater

1. Back To Top    #1

air in solar heater

Quick question about a solar heater.
    I have a solar heater hooked up in line to my pool with an automatic valve that opens or closes based on temperature. Water goes from the pump to the cartridge filter, then either through the heater to the SWG or directly to the SWG, then to the pool. I also have a Polaris installed.

Every time the solar heater kicks on a tremendous amount of air comes out of the pool jets. I have never seen an obvious leak, and have had it serviced, but the air seems odd. Since it is a closed system on the pressure side I am not sure how air gets into the system. Is this normal for solar heaters? Is this anything I need to be concerned about?

TIA
    19,000 gallon
    Cartridge
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 HP Hayward pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: air in solar heater

Your solar panel should have a vacuum breaker, probably on the high side opposite the outlet, that lets air in when the panels are shut off. This is to keep the panel from overheating when the water is static, and it is normal to have the bubbles as the panel fills with water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup. Sounds normal since with a proper install the panels should drain when the pump turns off.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies and makes sense to me.
    19,000 gallon
    Cartridge
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 HP Hayward pump