Hayward 6060 - Won't Start, No Humming

Noggin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 14, 2010
I have a Hayward 6060 booster pump that won't start. It seems 100% dead as it doesn't even hum when power is applied. The timer it is connected to is working, I've verified that timer outputs 240VAC when on, and is disconnected when off. I've verified that 240VAC is getting to the contact terminals on the pump, so the wiring is connected. I've verified that the shaft spins freely. I've verified that the centrifugal switch makes contact when the pump isn't moving and that it breaks contact when the switch is tripped. I've checked all of the spade/crimp terminals to make sure they're all making good contact. There appears to also be a 75 ohm resistor in the pump housing, but I'm not sure what it is for (I originally thought it was to drain the cap when not in use, but 75 ohms is ridiculously low for that purpose.

I'm just not sure what else to check.

This might not be related, but two days ago my neighbor called my wife while we were at work. One of the hoses had come off the top of the pump (the outlet I believe) and about 1/3 of the water drained out of the pool by the time I made it home. I don't know what caused the hose to come off. Is there any type of pump/motor failure that could cause the pressure to increase to the point that it could blow off a hose?

I'm going to go back out there and put it back together. I suspect that the motor has simply failed. If it were the start cap, I would expect the pump to at least hum.

A motor failure wouldn't cause the hose to come off, but the hose coming off could have caused the motor failure. If the inside of the motor got very wet it could have shorted out enough to melt something potentially breaking the windings circuit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.