Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBB / CYA with intense sunlight

1. Back To Top    #1

BBB / CYA with intense sunlight

The last few years, I've chlorinated my pool with bleach and ran a CYA level around 75 due to the fact the I live in sunny Phoenix, AZ.

However, in the summer months I still have a problem: Every night, I put in the bleach after sunset. Because of the high CYA level, I have to put in A LOT of bleach to get the FC level up to the recommended value. BUT, despite the high CYA level, it is so sunny and hot here that by the next evening my FC is darn near zero again.

Next month I am having my water treated with reverse osmosis to remove calcium. This will remove the CYA, too. Therefore, I am contemplating going with a near zero level of CYA. This will allow me to raise the FC level every evening with a much lower amount of bleach. And, since the FC level will be near zero the next evening with or without CYA, I'll be able to get by with adding much less bleach.

Anyone tried this?
    40,000 gal glass tile with BBB chemistry
    Dual Pentair cartridge filters
    Scottsdale, AZ

2. Back To Top    #2
    Elverson Pa.

Re: BBB / CYA with intense sunlight

It seems to me with zero or close to zero cya the sun will burn the chlorine up much quicker. Somebody else will know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Gotta be something else besides just sunshine eating up THAT much chlorine per day with CYA @ 75 and losing almost 9ppm of FC per day.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

You have algae or some other organic contamination. With CYA that high FC usage would be around 1, maybe 2 ppm per day if everything was working correctly. With high CYA levels it is quite possible to have a low level algae problem, where you can't see anything but there is still algae. You need to shock the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

I agree with Jason. The quick confirmation would be to perform the OCLT. Likely then followed by the shock process.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

OK. I will do the overnight test.
    40,000 gal glass tile with BBB chemistry
    Dual Pentair cartridge filters
    Scottsdale, AZ