Newbie from the Indiana LOOSIERS area

Coonspool

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2013
Princeton, Indiana
Don't get me wrong...I love the HOOSIERS!

Oh and before you ask...the user name is from the little critters I kept finding in our pool.

Ok, had the intex 18' x 48" ring pool for 3 years, absolutely loved it, so did our neighbors cat, and their neighbors cat...and so...and so on...you get the picture?

Just bought new pool, wanted to intro, and let you know I'll be asking alot of questions. Like ah....what is a transit or level? Me thinks, I'm gonna need one! First I gotta see if my newly purchased items arrive! But I am gonna search the site and find the recommendations for leveling ground. More later, hopefully with pics....I love pics!
JT

A transit is an optical device that can measure grade and angle. A laser level is much easier to use, especially by yourself. They can be rented from most tool rental places.

Make sure you ask for an audible laser level when you rent it other wise they may just rent you a standard laser site level. The audible lets you find your set grade( where you want the entire pool base leveled to) adjust your stick to this height so you hear it beeping and your on your way! Make them show you how it works!!! I rented one when I built my pool and the batteries were dead. Took me an hour to figure that out! :hammer:

JohnT said:
A transit is an optical device that can measure grade and angle.

OK John, I thought you understood Southern - Indiana sarcasm? What part of Indiana u from? I'm near Toyota-ville.

I do have a 1950's K&E P5136 TRANSIT, Used it a few times...but I get the gist. Had to shoot basement elevations with her and it was fun....NOT!, I was being sarcastic, cause I know how important the grades are for the pools. Although, the way this site (TFP) describes and explains the electronic laser gizmos', I might be better off, renting one (or possibly buying one, thanks 4 knights) Probably easier for this old fart anyway, and much faster. Guess just gonna see when I get my pool package. I already have about 16' level grade, but now I'm upping the ante to 24', plus the deck I plan on building I have a 4/12 grade beyond what I'm now attempting....I must learn a lot in the next 2 weeks HAHA. Gonna go to pool school and cram. I'm hoping to have this done in 3 days...again sarcasm. Probably be a month! Thanks for the welcome, you'll hear more from me, I been thru this site for 5 hours today and love the info, site is the berries for us DIY'ers.

There is just me an the little lady doing this (course she'll be doing the digging! :party: ), so I will need loads of advice....but....gonna save that for another thread when I start my build thread. Hopefully tomorrow. I am fortunate that I have no codes or regulations to follow for my township, big relief! I know I'm in a world wind of knowledge to gain, but my goal is that I can help someone else too.

Misnomer about me....I am sarcastic and love to have fun and there is no mole hill worth sweating, so please don't take me too serious unless I say I'm serious!

I'm in Daviess County, not too far away.

A laser is a huge labor saver. I bought one for a 150' retaining wall thinking I'd sell it when I was done, but it's so handy I don't want to get rid of it. Nothing sounds as sweet as that steady tone saying you are on grade.