Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Leak

Have a pool leak! Pool leaks at the entrance of the skimmer, in other words the water level leaks and stops right at the edge of the tile entrance of the skimmer. Have tried the dye test on the skimmers, with no positive results. Also plugged all jets and Polaris outlets, and filled pool and it leaked to the entrance of the skimmer. The skimmer basket holds water. My pool guy thinks its the lights, but both are completely underwater. Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Pool Leak

If the pool drains down to a specific level and then stops draining, the leak must be right at that level.

The key to doing the dye test is that the pool must be very still, so no pump and as little disturbance of the water as possible. The water level will also need to be at least an inch over the level where it stops draining or you won't be losing enough water to notice anything.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your suggestion JasonLion. When I tried the dye the pool equipment was shut off, but the water in the pool was not steady. I will try the dye test again.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It could be the conduit from the light, that is a very good possibility. For about 5 dollars you can get a rubber plug to seal around the cord from the light.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics