Sensitive skin and the BBB method?

Hi guys.
My parter has sensitive skin and using the traditional pool shop chem method sets a bit of a rash off.
My levels are pretty good and I monitor them often.
Given that she loves to use it, I think I owe it to her to get it right.
Next refill I am thinking of switching to the BBB method, but I am wondering if the BBB is less harsh.
Love this forum, I am glad I found it.

Thanks in advance.

It's hard to say because it depends on how the spa is maintained and to what exactly the person is sensitive. With the most common chlorine approach of Dichlor-only, two things often happen. First is that many people tend to use too little chlorine, especially if the spa is used more frequently, so bacteria can grow when they get behind with such dosing. Second is that the CYA level builds up so the water can build up bather waste and possibly allow biofilm growth, especially if dosing gets behind. So it's more likely to have problems from bacterial infections, such as hot tub itch/rash, hot tub lung, etc.

Also, some people have sensitivity to bromine while others have some to MPS (non-chlorine shock).

With the Dichlor-then-bleach method, your CYA level is more stable so the level of disinfection/oxidation is more consistent. If you dose the proper amount so that you always measure a residual of chlorine, usually targeting around 2 ppm FC for the start of your soak, then you should have fewer problems.

However, sensitive skin can get irritated from hot water alone or from the pressure of jets.

Thank you for the quick reply.
I understand that there are plenty of variables at play.
I have never had an issue with it, nor has any of the other people that have used it, to the best of my knowledge.
She could have a reaction to hot water. We have fitted a new heater with much more water temp control.
We can see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.