Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often to you acid wash your unit?

1. Back To Top    #1

Manvel, TX

How often to you acid wash your unit?

Alright, I've been doing pretty well following the recommendations at this fantastic site and my pool has been looking and running well since I put it in last summer.

However, one area I neglected was with the acid washing of my cell every three months. I didn't do my first wash (in part, because I hadn't ordered the kit for my Pentair IC-40) until after the pool has been operating for six months.

Yet, when I did so, I got essentially no bubbling and could only see one small bit of scale. Since I have to hit my pool with Muratic pretty regularly to keep the Ph and TA in line, I've not had any scaling issues on the pool itself.

So, I'm curious how often you guys end up washing your cells? If I'm not getting scaling issues on my pool, does it follow that I'm not getting scale build up in my cell either?
    Ed Klein
    My Backyard Setup with Pictures
    Pictures of my Build Process
    27,000 gallons total
    IG plaster pool with waterfall/slide and 10' OD hot tub
    SWCG - Pentair IC-40 with Easytouch 8 automation
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS filter pump with 150gpm cartridge filter
    Built Summer 2012 - Houston, Texas area

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: How often to you acid wash your unit?

You should only acid wash the SWG if there is some obvious scale visible or it is malfunctioning in a way that is consistent with scaling. Acid washing shortens the lifetime of the unit just a little bit, so there is no point in doing it on a schedule. If your water is balanced correctly you might well never need to acid wash the SWG.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Central Massachusetts

Re: How often to you acid wash your unit?

I've had my IC-40 for 4 years and never washed it once. Looks as good as the day it went it.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.