Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE in a Pentair filter cartridge

1. Back To Top    #1

DE in a Pentair filter cartridge

I was bored and read (yes, really) the manual for my filter. It said to add 0.5 pounds of DE for each 100 sq ft of cartridge surface...
    really?

I never knew this....

Comments?
    32000 gallon, inground, fiberglass, Aqua-Rite SWG, Pentair 420 sqft cartridge filter (Installed-ya baby), Hayward Super II pump 1.5 hp, 144k BTU heat pump, Dolphin Dx5 Plus, and a good test kit from Duraleigh!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE in a Pentair filter cartridge

You can if you want, it doesn't make a huge difference. If you do add DE, make sure to only do so once and to only add the amount they specify.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I do use synthetic DE..ie; Filter Helper in my pool. It does help mine with the fine stuff and does make the filter a bit easier to clean. Just my experience and my humble $.02...Good Luck!!
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

4. Back To Top    #4

Filter helper is a completely different situation than DE. DE will embed into the filter fabric and never come out. Filter helper will rinse off when the cartridge is cleaned.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Jason, I should have added that to my post to explain rather than just describe. Yep, the synthetic does rinse off very easily..Hope that helped Mk1....
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc