Intelliflo VS pump 3hp

Jul 31, 2009
Gonzales, La
Have a few questions in regard to a Intelliflo VS pump. Building approximately 16K pool and currently have a 3HP VS pump as the pump for 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 bubblers and 3 deck jets. I guessing this pump will handle all of these task easily? Not that all of them would be used at the same time all the time. Mostly returns to pool for normal circulation. Bubblers and deck jets for when someone is in the pool, outdoors parties, etc I guess?? Never had either of them before. Can the VS pump be used for pressure side cleaning of pool cleaner as well and not have to purchase the booster? If all this can be done with the VS pump would I need to automate so I can control speeds, schedules, etc without having to go switch valves? What else would I need to automate? Is 2 1/2" suction piping sufficient for this pump? Seeing that the pump only has 2" inlet and outlets I'd have to reduce down at the pump.

Thanks,
Todd

Yes, easily.

The IntelliFlo will not work with a cleaner designed to use a booster pump. I can be used with a pressure side cleaner designed to run off of a standard return.

2 1/2" is great, though you only really need 2" if you have more than one run in each direction between the equipment pad and the pool.

Automation would be nice, but isn't essential. The main issue is the deck jets and bubblers, which will want a valve turned and the pump speed changed. That can be done manually, but automation makes it one button press.

Jason,
Thanks for the reply!! As for the cleaner I was looking at either the Polaris 280 or the Pentair Legend II. Leaning towards the Pentair for warranty purpose. From what I am reading the Legend is pressure side pump that will run off normal pool return? No booster needed?

As for the pump, is it too big? I would like to turn the pool over the required amount of times per day as needed but would also like to slow the pump down to conserve energy as well, maybe even turning it off when not needed. Is it good to stop flow in gunite pools? If I stop pool flow then doesnt the salt generator need to be off as well?

As you can see I need alot of educating. So I'm asking all the questions I can think of.

Thanks,
Todd

The Polaris 280 will not work without a booster pump. The Pentair Legend II will be fine.

It's variable speed so it can be whatever "size" you want it to be.

It is completely normal to turn off the pump more than half of each 24 hour period.

If the pump is off, then the SWG should be powered down (unless you have an automation system which will take care of it for you).

Jason,
Thanks for the assistance. I am not familiar with how all the automation works. Here's what I would like to do if I do automate.

1. Run normal returns to pool at set speed to turn pool over the required amounts per day.
2. Turn on or off the bubblers and deck jets. I would guess the pump speed would need to be increased to run returns and features?
3. Lighting. Can it also control lighting? I'm planning a LED light and would like to color change. Would I also need a color change controller?
4. Pool cleaner. I'd like to set a specific time for the pressure side cleaner to come on and off.

I guessing I would need an pool only automation system? Recommendations?

If all returns, features and cleaning is using the filtration system. What recommendations would you have for filters? I am considering Pentair DE type filter. What size would be recommended since I have seen numerous time that more filter is better.

Thanks,
Todd

Everything you mentioned is easy to do with an entry level automation system. If you have a lot of lights that you want to switch independently or you want more programable control over the light color then you might want a mid range automation system. For light color, the entry level systems you turn the light on/off a couple of times in a row to change modes, while with the mid-range systems you can associate specific colors with specific modes or buttons.

Since you seem to be going Pentair, the SunTouch system is a good entry level system, while the EasyTouch is a good mid-range system.

I didn't see you mention the size of your pool, but unless it is quite small I recommend getting the largest filter you have space for and can afford. Larger filters go longer between backwashing, which saves effort, and are just slightly more efficient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.