Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just broke my drain line! Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Just broke my drain line! Help!

I broke the pvc line thats between my pump and the drain. Do I have to drain my pool below the break in the pipe to stop the flow?
    11k Gallon, Catridge Filter, In Ground Marcite, 1.5 HP Pump, (Unsure of filter Flow Rate)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just broke my drain line! Help!

Are you talking about the main drain or the suction line from skimmer or both? Did you break it at the equipment pad? It is possible to block the drain from inside the pool so you can repair the line. Depending on water temps you might need a wet or even a dry suit. Could you post a picture?
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Between main drain and the valve near the pump...
    11k Gallon, Catridge Filter, In Ground Marcite, 1.5 HP Pump, (Unsure of filter Flow Rate)

4. Back To Top    #4

The water will keep coming out until the pool level drops below the pipe.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow! Surprised the line is that shallow, mine are at the level of the returns and some lower than that.
    How did that happen?
    Just like JohnT said, let it drain below the pipe.
    Easy fix though, dig it back about a foot from the break on each side and you can plumb in a new piece.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

The repair

7. Back To Top    #7

Glad you have it done, I spent most of the afternoon working with blue PVC cement also, plumbing a new pool pump which would not fit in the where the old one sat.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~