Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: rebuiling Max-E-Glas pump - what is this brass ring?

1. Back To Top    #1

rebuiling Max-E-Glas pump - what is this brass ring?

I got the rebuild kit for my 20+ year old 2 HP single-speed Max-E-Glas pump. I got the square gasket replaced by the strainer basket. I am working on getting the impeller out (it is locked onto the shaft pretty tight)

I found this brass ring around the impeller body - I don't see it in the parts diagram from Pentair. Also you can see in the photo of the impeller - it looks like some of the plastic has been chewed away. The brass ring is loose. So what does the ring do, and do I need to replace the impeller?

25K gal IG plaster pool w/ spillover jacuzzi, 12 Gulf Solar coils (leaking/currently bypassed), ancient Raypak propane heater (rusted/currently bypassed), Pentair 001018 VS pump, 4.9 sq ft Triton II sand filter, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: rebuiling Max-E-Glas pump - what is this brass ring?

It is an impeller ring and part of the impeller. It helps to prevent re-circulation in the diffuser. However, it looks like yours spun on the impeller so yes, the impeller should be replaced and the ring comes with it. You may need a new diffuser as well. Inspect the inside of the diffuser where the impeller slips in and see if there are scuff marks.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

that's attached to the diffuser, it's part of it

you should replace the diffuser, shaft seal, and the impeller

4. Back To Top    #4

Those are great pictures.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

oh, so it was originally part of the diffuser, not the impeller? and it spun off and was left hanging on the impeller, I guess?

I'll order new impeller and diffuser
    25K gal IG plaster pool w/ spillover jacuzzi, 12 Gulf Solar coils (leaking/currently bypassed), ancient Raypak propane heater (rusted/currently bypassed), Pentair 001018 VS pump, 4.9 sq ft Triton II sand filter, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

yes it's part of the diffuser. Did your pump perhaps run dry? cause that looks like it melted

I'd replace all of the o-rings also.

7. Back To Top    #7

The pump was left on when they winterized so who knows how long it ran dry. I already have new seals and rings, just ordered impeller and diffuser

8. Back To Top    #8

update - got all the new parts, took it apart and started rebuilding. I noticed in the diagram, a part called a "water slinger #C69-2"
    I'm pretty sure I didn't have this part when I disassembled, and I did not order one with the rebuild kit.

1. what does a water slinger do?
    2. do I need to buy and install a replacement?

9. Back To Top    #9

also, I noticed that the shaft seal is kind of sloppy when inserted into the seal plate. I see in the instructions about tapping it in with a dowel, but there is no need since it is so loose. IN fact, the silicone I applied is the only thing keeping it in place until I screw on the impeller. Will this get deformed when tightening the impeller, or do I need to make up this gap somehow?

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

The seal should fit the backing plate fairly snug. The silicone shouldn't be what holds it in place. The slinger is a rubber washer on the pump shaft to keep water from getting into the front bearing of the motor. You may need to order a new backing plate. Max-E-Glas may have had an old style with a copper insert in it that the new style doesn't. If your pump housing is that old it may be of that generation.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics