Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just picked up a new clock motor for an Intermatic Timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Just picked up a new clock motor for an Intermatic Timer

The timer for the main pump on our pool stopped running.

The local store I frequent carries them and I picked up a new motor (WG1573 Intermatic) which looks a lot like this:
    http://images.drillspot.com/pimages/9120/912069_600.jpg

Except: the old one lacks a fiber sleeve around the copper winding. And, there are a couple strands of the winding loose.

Any reason I shouldn't take it back for another? I know the sleeve means the design from decades ago had it and someone got a raise for deleting it to save cost later on. But loose winding on a new elec. motor seems unacceptable.
    20,000 US Gallon Oval with diving well but no board :( Hayward s244t2 & Multiport SP71621
    1hp AO Smith WhisperFlo pump / basket Part 7-177450-03 / 3 returns, well drain connected to jacuzzi overflow
    baracuda version 3 run to the overflow; side hookup add in process.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just picked up a new clock motor for an Intermatic Timer

You can take it back but there's a good chance that the next one will be just like it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Well the next one which I was able to pick up from another store is very quiet. To the point I'll be checking it in a little bit to see if the clock is moving.

edit: The first's winding strand was indeed broken.
    20,000 US Gallon Oval with diving well but no board :( Hayward s244t2 & Multiport SP71621
    1hp AO Smith WhisperFlo pump / basket Part 7-177450-03 / 3 returns, well drain connected to jacuzzi overflow

4. Back To Top    #4

Seems to be keeping good time. Yay for not having to go back again. Almost ready for another summer pool season after some cleaning, backwashing, brushing, a new tablet floater, and adding cl.

Thanks to Jason for helping me with my login.