michigan pool, peeked under cover and green already.

smooth2222

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
michigan
michigan pool, peeked under cover and green already.

we usually open the pool week before memorial day, plus or minus a week depending on the weather.

I Have mesh pool cover which allows some sunlight thru the tiny holes. was 54 degrees yesterday so I peeked under the cover and it is turning green already.

Should I just leave it and worry about it when I open the pool? and will be massively green.

or should I start putting chlorine in so I don't have even a bigger green swamp when I go to open the pool?

was thinking maybe next year I should put a solid pool cover under my mesh cover so it doesn't allow any sun thru, so I don't get green water ever year?

thanks

steve

To commiserate with you, we had ice yesterday and today it is completely thawed. We also have "stuff" on the bottom and always seem to open to green water. Our cover is supposed to be solid but stuff gets thru or when the edges get blown up by the wind. I'm considering hooking up all the hoses and filter onto the pool, maybe the pump, and then think about starting up the process. :hammer: but not sure since we always get at least one ice storm between now and Mother's Day, and still in line for some freezing nights ahead. Last year the PB told me to dump extra chlorine in during our March hot spell, but with the pump not running, it did bleach out some of the liner. We still had to deal with algae when we opened it in May. If you add bleach now, make sure it is well stirred and I guess hope for the best. :stirpot:

I have fiberglass, so not sure high chlorine can damage the fiberglass?

already dumped some chlorine in, it already ate it up too 0, so going to go buy some more tomorrow.

defiantly don't want to start it up yet, we could still get some freezing.

anyone else have any recommendations?

Would a solid cover stop it from getting green next year?

My opinion, if you can not do the shock process correctly with the pump running ... you are just wasting money on bleach since you will not be able to kill it all and filter it out.

Just leave it until you are ready to open.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I usually hook up my filter after the last big freeze, fill up with the cover still on. Slide the cleaner under the cover, too and let it run. Start balancing the water, but mostly just killing the nasties. By the time the cover comes off, most of the algae is dead and I can finish shocking and balancing. (Add salt and CYA)
End of April or so, you can find me fully clothed floating on my big island. With a book, pillow and a drink, enjoying the sun and birds singing. (Small challenge of getting off my island without getting my feet wet. Stairs are not in the pool at that time)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No. Algaecide does not kill algae. It attempts to reduce the likelihood of algae starting if your FC gets too low. You are past that point. You need full on shock process with chlorine.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.