Pump time/heater and SWG percentage.

savela

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2012
So, for now, day to day, my SWG percentage is at 45% w/ a salt level of ~3300 and a pump run time of 6 hours per day for a free chlorine level of ~5 at a CYA of ~70. My question is, do I need to decrease that percentage while heating my pool as my pump will run continuously for ~24 hrs at a time in order to keep the FC level at ~5? I figure a longer run time, a lower percentage for the same FC. I ask because I've been checking and noticed that my FC has dropped to ~2 after 4 of us swam for around 4 hours. Is the drop appropriate for the bather load with a pool temp of 90 or do I need to keep my SWG percentage at 45%? Finally, can I offset the drop in FC after swimming for the day by simply adding bleach and if so, how much? Thanks!

If you change the pump run time you need to change the percentage setting proportionately but in the opposite direction to produce the same total amount of chlorine. So for example if you double the pump run time, you need to halve the percentage to produce the same total amount of chlorine. This is separate from finding the correct setting for the SWG.

Swimming uses up chlorine, so no surprises there. You want to adjust the percentage setting so the FC level never goes below 3, which in this case means turning the percentage up a little. If you do find the FC level a little low, add some chlorine manually and also adjust the percentage so it won't happen again. If FC is below 3, raise it to at least 3, perhaps 4 to be safe. You can figure out how much bleach to use to do that with the Pool Calculator. See the link in my signature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.