What cartridge filer should I get for 24' pool?

Mar 29, 2013
Hey guys,

I am doing my research on filtration systems for above ground pools. The more I read the more confused I am.
Basically I have 24'x54'' round AGP. I calculated that I should have about 13.600 gallons in it.

The previous owners had 1.5hp pump and Earth filter that was falling a part. They also had 1HP pump.

What cartridge filter would you recommend I buy? What pump should I ran and how often?

I was looking at Hayward models (C400, C900 and C17502). It looks like C900 and C17502 are for in ground pools and it kind of confusing me.

Thanks!

Everybody will say as big as a filter as you can afford and the lowest hp pump that will work with what you want to do. Water features, solar heat etc.

My set up. Powerflo matrix 1hp 2speed. Save elec. with 2speed.
Hayward EC 65 DE filter.

Pump run time is something you'll have to play with. Every pool is different. Bather load etc. What ever it takes to keep the water the way you like it.

I'm good with my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So should I use Hayward c17502 175 sq ft or c900 90sq ft (in ground by documentation) cartridge filter with 1HP pump? Can I use 1.5HP pump with it for vacuuming?
How often should I run the pump?

pwrstrk said:
Everybody will say as big as a filter as you can afford and the lowest hp pump that will work with what you want to do. Water features, solar heat etc.

My set up. Powerflo matrix 1hp 2speed. Save elec. with 2speed.
Hayward EC 65 DE filter.

I'm good with my setup.

Pump run time is not etched in stone. Lots of factors come into play here. It's something you have to play with.

Sometimes I won't even get a full turnover in a day. If i have a high bather load i'll run the pump longer. What ever keeps my water looking good. Keeping enough FC in water is most important.

I can vacuum with my 1hp. I just use high speed.

Sorry for the delay. We would actually recommend a minimum of ~200 sqft cartridge filter. The 175 would get you pretty close, but the 90 is way too small.

There is no such thing as AG vs. IG cartridge filter really.

I would also suggest going with a 1HP (or even 3/4HP) 2-speed pump. Running on low a majority of the time and then switching to high when you want to vacuum will say you the most money on electricity ... plus the smaller pumps are cheaper to buy.

jacktree said:
Hey guys,

I am doing my research on filtration systems for above ground pools. The more I read the more confused I am.
Basically I have 24'x54'' round AGP. I calculated that I should have about 13.600 gallons in it.

The previous owners had 1.5hp pump and Earth filter that was falling a part. They also had 1HP pump.

What cartridge filter would you recommend I buy? What pump should I ran and how often?

I was looking at Hayward models (C400, C900 and C17502). It looks like C900 and C17502 are for in ground pools and it kind of confusing me.

Thanks!

This is pretty much the same question that I was going to post with, so I have a follow-up question... I've seen that many are suggesting 200' canister filters... is there any chance that a 150' filter is ok? or is that just something that I will want/need to change out soon? I just purchased a pool package but will probably return the filter/pump combo as it is only a 75'/1HP combo.

thanks, in advance.

Edoras said:
This is pretty much the same question that I was going to post with, so I have a follow-up question... I've seen that many are suggesting 200' canister filters... is there any chance that a 150' filter is ok? or is that just something that I will want/need to change out soon? I just purchased a pool package but will probably return the filter/pump combo as it is only a 75'/1HP combo.
For your 14500 gallon pool we would recommend a minimum 200 sq. ft. filter. 150 sq. ft. will work, but you will have to clean it more often. Cartridge filters sized per our recommendations generally only need to be cleaned once or twice a season (for most pools)...unless an algae outbreak occurs...which shouldn't happen if the pool chemistry method taught on here is followed.

linen said:
Edoras said:
For your 14500 gallon pool we would recommend a minimum 200 sq. ft. filter. 150 sq. ft. will work, but you will have to clean it more often. Cartridge filters sized per our recommendations generally only need to be cleaned once or twice a season (for most pools)...unless an algae outbreak occurs...which shouldn't happen if the pool chemistry method taught on here is followed.

I had a feeling that was the case... but I think it is the correct way to go. Thank you very much, Linen, for your reply, I appreciate it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.