Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward DE filter install

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward DE filter install

Hi I'm brand brand new here so sorry if I'm out of protocol. We JUST received our new Hayward ec65 filter and are anxious to install it but we did not order a base for it... I assume its necessary?... and where might the least expensive place to get one be?
    [center]idk the size of my pool.... but it's in ground gunite/plaster. We just got a DE filter after fighting with our cartridge filter last year. the pump is 1 1/2 hp... We had it re-plastered last year but its already a swamp again :(
    ~~~Laura~~~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward DE filter install

Welcome to TFP!!!

Why do you think you need a base for it? It can just sit on any slab / pavers.

Help us help you. Please add your pool details and location as requested HERE
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Amazon has one for 95 bucks.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

jblizzle that's what I thought originally and why I didn't order one but at the same time the box came in and I had second thoughts. if I don't have to get a base I won't! Thanks!!!!
    [center]idk the size of my pool.... but it's in ground gunite/plaster. We just got a DE filter after fighting with our cartridge filter last year. the pump is 1 1/2 hp... We had it re-plastered last year but its already a swamp again :(
    ~~~Laura~~~

5. Back To Top    #5

The base makes for a nice easy mount with the pool pump and allows the use of the included split 90's to connect a supported Hayward pump directly to the input port on the filter, without it you will have to engineer your own plumbing from the pump output to the filter input. This is not necessarily a bad thing as this this can allow you to add a diverter valve if you need one for draining your pool, etc. without the water going through the filter. I have a base on my EC75, but only because it was bought as a kit which included the filter, the pump and the base, all it really does is allow for a slightly more compact installation on the pad and elevates the pump up off the ground a bit. One word of advice when you go to install your perflex series filter add screw together unions or the supplied? screw apart valve on the output fitting so you can at least remove the top if you ever have to service the flex tubes. I also highly suggest adding an optional backwash valve in place of the backwash plug that comes with the filter, any cheap PVC ball valve will do, but I suggest getting a threaded one and use threaded adapter and a union fitting here too as after a couple of years the DE compound will tend to make the valve stiff to turn, and you may want to replace it.

Ike.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~