Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Building A Deck Around a 30x16 Oval AG Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Building A Deck Around a 30x16 Oval AG Pool

I am familiar with decks and deck construction. Thus far I have built 4, however they have all been square. In the next few weeks I am going to start building a deck around my pool. I am not sure yet how to frame around the oval ends. If I put posts even with the uprights on the walls and align the post with one of the rim joists, then the other will have a gap where it attaches to the post. Should I just put the posts and beams in a square and cantilever the joists to follow the line of the pool? Should I miter the ends of the beams to follow the line of the pool and set them on top of the posts? If you have pics of a deck build I'd like to see how you did it. I've watched a few videos but they were put up by people who were cutting corners on the deck build, so I'd rather not do what they were doing.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Building A Deck Around a 30x16 Oval AG Pool

Build the frame square and cantilever the joists to match the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

deck-is-finished-and-the-pool-has-been-great-for-2-years-t25736.html

There's some stuff to look at for the rounded ends.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. In those pictures it looks like the posts around the pool are doubled up and set at angles to each other?
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

5. Back To Top    #5

I set the lines for the posts yesterday. I am going to do the frame square and then cantilever the joists where I need to. It also cuts down on the number of post holes I need to dig.

6. Back To Top    #6

@crokett - I'd love to see some progress pics if you feel inclined. I'm starting on my deck within the next couple weeks and every little bit of information I can find helps
    24 Ft Sharkline Matrix , ~15,200 Gallons
    Pentair SD60 w/ 2 speed 1.5 HP Dynamo pump
    Taylor K-2006 --- BBB

7. Back To Top    #7

I've been really busy. I have the deck about half done. I will try to get pics this week.