Murrieta, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I just purchased a replacement IC40 cell. My previous cell died in 2011, and I've been using tablets for the last two seasons.

The replacement cell is working nicely so far. My only gripe is that Pentair apparently changed the orientation of the control panel relative to the flow direction. As a result, when the cell is installed, the control panel is upside down.

This is not a huge deal, but I was wondering if it is possible to detach the panel and reinstall it in the opposite orientation.

Anyone know?

Reactions: crismeyer
I looked around some search engines and found this from a year ago:

According to Pentair's customer support line, there is no way to flip the display. The IC40 cell was redesigned to support vertical mounting in which the inlet is at the bottom.

I have no knowledge of pentairs equipment but was curious of how they operate.
That does not mean that is the correct answer ,I would contact Pentair to see if you can get another opinion,
Maybe someone with knowledge of this can jump in and help you out
You usually get the best answers here.

Bama Rambler said:
Post a picture of the installation. It sounds like you have installed wrong for the new cell.

I'll see if I can get to posting a picture later. As of now, it is installed and it is working properly. I'm quite certain that I installed it properly. I oriented the cell per the flow arrows and the internal flow switch.

Now, I bought this cell off of ebay, so it *is* possible that this is from a batch of cells that had the panel improperly installed at the time of manufacturing. However, the cell matches all the photos in the new manual. It is also clearly reversed from my previous cell, manufactured in February 2008.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter too much, so long as it works. It's just something of a minor inconvenience when it comes to checking the status lights.

heidiho said:
I looked around some search engines and found this from a year ago:

According to Pentair's customer support line, there is no way to flip the display. The IC40 cell was redesigned to support vertical mounting in which the inlet is at the bottom.

I have no knowledge of pentairs equipment but was curious of how they operate.
That does not mean that is the correct answer ,I would contact Pentair to see if you can get another opinion,
Maybe someone with knowledge of this can jump in and help you out
You usually get the best answers here.

Heidi,

Thanks for searching for me :). I was too lazy to search beyond this forum. :oops:

There must be a way because my pool installer put a new one on tonight and flipped it. He was griping about how stupid they looked upside down. He took the plastic cover off that says flow and then very carefully rotated the flow sensor. He stated that whoever his point of contact is told him about it.

Mep32jep said:
There must be a way because my pool installer put a new one on tonight and flipped it. He was griping about how stupid they looked upside down. He took the plastic cover off that says flow and then very carefully rotated the flow sensor. He stated that whoever his point of contact is told him about it.

I just recently replace the flow sensor on my cell. I suppose this is one way to do it, and it should work just as well.

However, be careful not to over-torque the sensor. Although I believe that it is a straight thread, there may not be enough thread left for another half-turn. I would suggest loosening the sensor (remember: righty-tighty, lefty-loosey), and see if there are any leaks. The water pressure should be well under 40 psi, so it won't take much to seal the hole. If you try to tighten it and run out of thread, you could potentially crack the cell housing.

So I just purchased a replacement IC40 cell. My previous cell died in 2011, and I've been using tablets for the last two seasons.

The replacement cell is working nicely so far. My only gripe is that Pentair apparently changed the orientation of the control panel relative to the flow direction. As a result, when the cell is installed, the control panel is upside down.

This is not a huge deal, but I was wondering if it is possible to detach the panel and reinstall it in the opposite orientation.

Anyone know?
I have the same issue. I am certain that I installed the new cell correctly. It is just that my original cell was plumbed with the entering water from the top and exiting the bottom of the cell. I believe that everything is working properly but I am a little skeptical. I was wondering if the engineers designed it with vertical up flow due to the fact that the chlorine gas would rise due to gravity (even though the water flow should allow the gas to move through the piping). My new cell has been operational for about two days. My chlorine level is not increasing as fast as I would expect. I'm going to give i a few more days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.