Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair IC40 cell, Can I reverse the control panel

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair IC40 cell, Can I reverse the control panel

So I just purchased a replacement IC40 cell. My previous cell died in 2011, and I've been using tablets for the last two seasons.

The replacement cell is working nicely so far. My only gripe is that Pentair apparently changed the orientation of the control panel relative to the flow direction. As a result, when the cell is installed, the control panel is upside down.

This is not a huge deal, but I was wondering if it is possible to detach the panel and reinstall it in the opposite orientation.

Anyone know?
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWCG, Hayward Navigator on dedicated suction line

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair IC40 cell, Can I reverse the control panel

I looked around some search engines and found this from a year ago:

According to Pentair's customer support line, there is no way to flip the display. The IC40 cell was redesigned to support vertical mounting in which the inlet is at the bottom.

I have no knowledge of pentairs equipment but was curious of how they operate.
    That does not mean that is the correct answer ,I would contact Pentair to see if you can get another opinion,
    Maybe someone with knowledge of this can jump in and help you out
    You usually get the best answers here.
    12,000 gal. 14x28 Inground vinyl liner (2004), 1 HP. Jacuzzi magnum pump,
    Raypak heater, Jacuzzi laser sand filter,Autopilot DIG-220 SWG, 35/22 cell,
    TF-100 test kit,K-1766 saltwater test kit, speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Post a picture of the installation. It sounds like you have installed wrong for the new cell.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Post a picture of the installation. It sounds like you have installed wrong for the new cell.
    I'll see if I can get to posting a picture later. As of now, it is installed and it is working properly. I'm quite certain that I installed it properly. I oriented the cell per the flow arrows and the internal flow switch.

Now, I bought this cell off of ebay, so it *is* possible that this is from a batch of cells that had the panel improperly installed at the time of manufacturing. However, the cell matches all the photos in the new manual. It is also clearly reversed from my previous cell, manufactured in February 2008.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter too much, so long as it works. It's just something of a minor inconvenience when it comes to checking the status lights.
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by heidiho
    I looked around some search engines and found this from a year ago:

According to Pentair's customer support line, there is no way to flip the display. The IC40 cell was redesigned to support vertical mounting in which the inlet is at the bottom.

I have no knowledge of pentairs equipment but was curious of how they operate.
    That does not mean that is the correct answer ,I would contact Pentair to see if you can get another opinion,
    Maybe someone with knowledge of this can jump in and help you out
    You usually get the best answers here.
    Heidi,

Thanks for searching for me . I was too lazy to search beyond this forum.

6. Back To Top    #6

There must be a way because my pool installer put a new one on tonight and flipped it. He was griping about how stupid they looked upside down. He took the plastic cover off that says flow and then very carefully rotated the flow sensor. He stated that whoever his point of contact is told him about it.
    27k gal, vinyl, Pentair SD-80 sand filter, Pentair 1.5 hp pump, intellichlor ic40 SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Mep32jep
    There must be a way because my pool installer put a new one on tonight and flipped it. He was griping about how stupid they looked upside down. He took the plastic cover off that says flow and then very carefully rotated the flow sensor. He stated that whoever his point of contact is told him about it.
    I just recently replace the flow sensor on my cell. I suppose this is one way to do it, and it should work just as well.

However, be careful not to over-torque the sensor. Although I believe that it is a straight thread, there may not be enough thread left for another half-turn. I would suggest loosening the sensor (remember: righty-tighty, lefty-loosey), and see if there are any leaks. The water pressure should be well under 40 psi, so it won't take much to seal the hole. If you try to tighten it and run out of thread, you could potentially crack the cell housing.

8. Back To Top    #8

So far, 4 days and its working great. I am glad because my OCD would have killed me with the display being upside down
    27k gal, vinyl, Pentair SD-80 sand filter, Pentair 1.5 hp pump, intellichlor ic40 SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mep32jep View Post
    So far, 4 days and its working great. I am glad because my OCD would have killed me with the display being upside down
    Actually flipping it is not a good idea now the pure Chlorine is running right into you r flow switch ... there is a reason Pentair put the flow switch in the rear of the cell