Need some advice please ...

Mar 5, 2013
Fort Worth Texas
I just got my tf-100 today !!!

30,000 gallon gunite pool that has been glassed by fibertech.
Swg
72 sq ft de filter
2hp pump

Ph = 7.5
Cya = 110
Free clorine= 10
Cc= .5
Tc=10.5
Ta=200
Calcium=200
Salt = 3800
Clorine 5+

My ta is too high should i add acid ??? How much ???

Seanhan said:
I just got my tf-100 today !!!

30,000 gallon gunite pool that has been glassed by fibertech.
Swg
72 sq ft de filter
2hp pump

Ph = 7.5
Cya = 110
Free clorine= 10
Cc= .5
Tc=10.5
Ta=200
Calcium=200
Salt = 3800
Clorine 5+

My ta is too high should i add acid ??? How much ???
First, a tip: when you do the FAS-DPD (powder) test for Chlorine, you don't need to do the color matching test. Unless you want to see how good you are at guessing FC based on subtle shades of color. I discovered anything between 4 and 7 looks like 5 to me. But before I get carried away....

Your CYA is too high. If you think it's 110, it's probably closer to 150. The scale is loagrithmic - you might notice that as the numbers increase, the spacing gets smaller. The way to get a better idea of CYA is to use one of the cylinders to mix half pool water and half tap water, then pour that diluted sample into the mixing bottle with the R-0013. Take a reading, pour it back in the mixing bottle, repeat several times until you're pretty sure of yourself. Then double that reading.

High CYA in itself is not a huge problem, but if you develop algae, it will be. In that case you will need to use barrels full of bleach to wipe it out. Also, you won't use more chlorine, but you'll need to maintain much higher levels for it to be effective, which means you'll need to use the FAS-DPD test every time. I managed with higher CYA my first season due to water restrictions, so I know it can be done. But I don't recommend it. So consider draining and refilling some of it.

TA will come down by itself if you maintain pH. If you want to speed the process, here's how. Note: you'll end up using the same amount of acid to do it, it just speeds it up.

Last month i had quite a bit of metal staining
I put in a 5 lbs bag of absorbic acid
The pool was like new in a hour
I added the correct dose of " in the swim brand stain remover "
Then filtered for 24/7. 3-4 days
Then i disassebbled the filter, and cleaned it and added new D.E.
Got the P.H. Correct ....

Then we added a salt system ,the say day i noticed my clorine was low so i added about 3-4lbs
Of shock that i had left over and the next day about 50% of the stains were bach.

Can i use absorbic acid with a SWG ???
Also i ordeded 4 bottles of jacks magic purple .. Did i waste my money ?
Thanks for any advice ..

Ascorbic acid (and the stain remover) removes the metals from the pool surface and puts them back in the water. Once you do that you need to use sequestrant to bind to the metals and hold them in solution or they will just form stains again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seanhan said:
Then you have to keep adding sequestrant forever ?
Generally, yes you have to add maintenance doses regularly.

Seanhan said:
Or change the water ?
Yes, this is a good solution if it is affordable (in the short term) for you and you do not have a high water table that could push your pool up when close to empty.

Seanhan said:
Is the jacks purple a sequestrant ?
Yes that is one of the recommended ones. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/metal stains

Yea thats what i did wrong " no maintanice dose "
And too much shock !!!
Just ordered another 5 lbs Absorbic , and 4 bottles of purple stuff.
The guy at jacks said i may only need the maintance dose for a few weeks ?? I hope soo that stufs kinda high $
Thanks for your help !!!!

Does anybody know what the advanteges are ???

There are some advantages to running the SWG during the day while the sun is shining on the pool. Unless there is some other reason not to run the pump during the day, like time of day electric rates that are higher during the day, program the pump to run while the sun is shining on the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.