Cracked Filter Element

carlos31820

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 22, 2010
Midland, Georgia
So I live in Georgia and the pollen has been fierce as it is every spring. I noticed that the pool has not been looking like its sparkling usual.

Today I came home from work and noticed the pool water in the deep end actually is starting to look yellowish/greenish. The good news is that I ran a full test using the tf100 kit and everything looks fine.

Fc. 9.0 (I added a bunch of chorine the other night because the water didnt look great and FC was at 2.0)
Cc. 0.0
Ph. 7.7
TA. 70
CYA. 70

So with these test results I started thinking my Jandy CS150 cartridge filter must be really dirty with the pollen demand.

Upon opening the filter, I noticed the top of the filter element plastic was cracked so im guessing dirty water is just going back to the pool unfiltered. Im ordering a new element and went ahead and cleaned this one and put it back in the filter . I figured its better than nothing until the new cartridge gets here.

The element is 2.5.years old. Would pressure from a dirty element cause the top of the cartridge to break like this?

mapydu9u.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

samiguy said:
Any chance that the filter froze?

No, I run the pump on nights it gets near freezing. Water temperature never got below 55 this winter.

My salt chlorine generator cell is in a much flimsier see-thru plastic case exposed to the elements and it's fine.

I can't imagine the cartridge freezing inside the filter housing since I run the pump on cold nights.

OK, you will need a soldering iron $16 minimum 60 watts and a small metal screen or better SS mesh. You press the broken piece together and in a continues motion following it's direction burn the crack. This is call tacking I believe. The melting of the rubber will push the material to the sides. Go to one side and melted it again to the inside of the crack and then the other side. This will fix it but if you really want to give strength after you do the tacking put on top of the crack a piece of metallic screen put the soldering iron on top and the heat will make the metal screen to melt the plastic and buried itself in it. Finish by molding the surface smooth with the soldering tool. It is so easy and inexpensive. You can practice first with a water bucket or something else made of thermoplastic. Look into this link so you can see some photos of this fixing the pool pump housing.

how-to-fix-a-cracked-pump-housing-t56833.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.