Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Building A Fence, Is Galvanized Steel Worth the Premium (Az)

1. Back To Top    #1

Building A Fence, Is Galvanized Steel Worth the Premium (Az)

I have a pool fence I'm having built around my pool. The basic option is powder coated, but a galvanized option adds quite a bit to the price, over a $1000 dollars.

I live in AZ where it's incredibly dry, and the powder coating SHOULD do a good job, but on a single side there's a 5 foot section of rocks as a barrier and then my lawn that has sprinklers that might hit some part of it.

The basic fence has zero warranty for rust, the galvanized has 20 year warranty.

Any advice?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Building A Fence, Is Galvanized Steel Worth the Premium

Galvanizing has gone through the roof with the price of zinc. It's also rated for 35 years too if it's hot dip. In AZ, I'd think you'd have more of a fading problem from the sun than a rusting problem.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jacob_coulter
    I have a pool fence I'm having built around my pool. The basic option is powder coated, but a galvanized option adds quite a bit to the price, over a $1000 dollars.

I live in AZ where it's incredibly dry, and the powder coating SHOULD do a good job, but on a single side there's a 5 foot section of rocks as a barrier and then my lawn that has sprinklers that might hit some part of it.

The basic fence has zero warranty for rust, the galvanized has 20 year warranty.

Any advice?
    Wait, you have a lawn in AZ?? Isn't that against the law or something??
    45'6" x 19' x 26' gunite pool, 43,000 gallons! 3/25/2013 renovation: Arizona Buckskin flagstone coping, NPT Verona Borba Turquoise tile & deco tile, Jules Bright Blue glass trim tile, Altima Premium Plaster in Teal, Pentair Whisperflow 2.0hp Filter Pump, Pentair 60 sq ft DE Filter with Multiport Valve. Polaris automatic cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like you might be talking to DCS? We decided to pass on the galvanized option since we don't have any sprinklers and, more importantly, the cost was too high. We're just going to try to regularly spray it down with WD-40 (we've heard that helps).
    --22k gallon pool/spa, IG, pebble w/ glass beads/abalone, all tile spa w/ stacked stone and spillway, 30 sf waterfall, 3 telescopic fountains, EZ Touch 8
    --Pentair VS3050, Whisperflo waterfall pump, Clean & Clear 520 cartridge filter, Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Ozone, Q360 in-floor cleaning, 400k btu heater
    --100 perim ft pool, 25 perim ft spa, Depth 3.5' to 7', 405 sq ft travertine decking, TF100 test kit
    --Time Lapse Video of our Pool Build ---- Our Pool Build Thread

5. Back To Top    #5

Usually in a few years I will have forgotten the extra money spent but will be happy I got what I wanted, instead of saving a little then fixing it later. I would go galv.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1017
    Usually in a few years I will have forgotten the extra money spent but will be happy I got what I wanted, instead of saving a little then fixing it later. I would go galv.
    I usually agree, I think my issue is you're talking about almost 40% premium to get galvanized. I'm almost wondering if it's better to just put that money away and use to redo the fence later, I'm sure will be faded out after several years anyway. My ultimate goal is to get rid of the fence when the kids are older, probably 5 years.

I think the other issue I'm grappling with is powder coating is supposed to be a lot more effective than just paint, so it's not like it has zero rust protection. I live in a dry climate and only about 10% of the fence will likely get hit just a bit with the sprinklers.

7. Back To Top    #7

You'll be fine either way, sometimes I do things "overkill" any way. If you wont want it after 5 years then defiantly just go powder. Not sure what color but maybe one that doesn't fade as much, IE lighter color.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.