Questions about backwash water discharge

sbluhm

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
I bought a house 3 years ago with a pool, first pool for me. The pool equipment is very old. The equipment did not have a valve installed that would allow backwash and other settings, and I got tired of taking apart the DE filter and doing that nasty wash down job multiple times in a season. This year I installed a backwash valve. This has been great, especially being able to vacuum to waste!

The problem is, where do I route the discharge?? The water comes out like a fire hose and floods everything! Do most pool equipment have plumbed in some sort of discharge line to the house sewer line? Or do most folks just route a discharge hose to the best place they can find, like a sewer drain? If you discharge on the street, does it leave residue behind? If you discharge on to your grass, do the chemicals kill the grass?

I'm thinking I can use enough hose to get to the nearest sewer, although it's probably 150 to 200'. That sounds like a pain to have to roll up that much hose, but it's still better than taking the filter apart frequently.

Any other suggestions or creative problem solving?

Thanks.

28000 gal vinyl
Hayward DE 60 sq.ft filter
Virginia Beach, VA

My pool is still under construction, but I have spec'd a seperation tank. They seperate the old DE and return the water to the pool (from what I've been told). Then you shake the goo from the seperation tank filter into the trash.

No mess, no wasted water. (though a little wasted water means an opportunity to lower CH....)

Steve

A separation tank is required by law when using a DE filter in some areas. The separation tank saves water and keeps DE out of the sewer but it can be a real mess to clean out the separation tank after a backwash. Separation tanks have their uses and advantages, but no mess isn't one of them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.