Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Questions about backwash water discharge

Questions about backwash water discharge

I bought a house 3 years ago with a pool, first pool for me. The pool equipment is very old. The equipment did not have a valve installed that would allow backwash and other settings, and I got tired of taking apart the DE filter and doing that nasty wash down job multiple times in a season. This year I installed a backwash valve. This has been great, especially being able to vacuum to waste!

The problem is, where do I route the discharge?? The water comes out like a fire hose and floods everything! Do most pool equipment have plumbed in some sort of discharge line to the house sewer line? Or do most folks just route a discharge hose to the best place they can find, like a sewer drain? If you discharge on the street, does it leave residue behind? If you discharge on to your grass, do the chemicals kill the grass?

I'm thinking I can use enough hose to get to the nearest sewer, although it's probably 150 to 200'. That sounds like a pain to have to roll up that much hose, but it's still better than taking the filter apart frequently.

Any other suggestions or creative problem solving?

Thanks.

28000 gal vinyl
    Hayward DE 60 sq.ft filter
    Virginia Beach, VA
    28K IG Vinyl lined pool - 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    Hayward DE 60sqft filter; Polaris 280 vacuum with booster pump

Some people build a dry well and route it there. Pool water can also be used for irrigation unless you are growing very chemical sensitive plants.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

mine is plumbed out to the forested area, only about 40 feet from the shed. But you can plumb it anywhere really that suits, it won't hurt the lawn.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

I just roll my hose out into the yard and dump it there. I have a salt pool and at one time was concerned about a build up of salt, but with the rain, and sprinklers going all the time it has not been an issue.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

My pool is still under construction, but I have spec'd a seperation tank. They seperate the old DE and return the water to the pool (from what I've been told). Then you shake the goo from the seperation tank filter into the trash.

No mess, no wasted water. (though a little wasted water means an opportunity to lower CH....)

Steve
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

I wouldn't call a separation tank no mess. Cleaning out the tank can be very messy
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

I will take back my statement -- as I have not used one yet -- was I sold somehting I don't need?

Thanks Jason
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

A separation tank is required by law when using a DE filter in some areas. The separation tank saves water and keeps DE out of the sewer but it can be a real mess to clean out the separation tank after a backwash. Separation tanks have their uses and advantages, but no mess isn't one of them.