Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: autofill isnt high enough

1. Back To Top    #1

autofill isnt high enough

Pool builder installed autofill a little low. The autofill is at its max height and the pool is about 2-3 inches below where I would want it to be. (1 inch into the tile line, would prefer 3-4 inches on the tile).

I have a small rock sitting on the float, are there any other suggestions that might work better than a weight on the float?
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: autofill isnt high enough

what does the valve look like? add a picture maybe.

Is the water at the top of the autofill bucket or at the top of where the float can be adjusted?

Mine is a brass valve with a float that can be raised and lowered quite a bit. I know others are more like the plastic toilet valves where the float is around a central shaft.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is it just a regular float valve? I adjust mine by manualy bending the float up or down until its at the desired hieght. If its a different kind of float valve there will be another type of adjustment.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

4. Back To Top    #4

If it's like this autofill, you can adjust the height of the valve itself down at the bottom, then fine-tune it with the float adjuster. http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/ModelT4 ... llerIG.pdf

Personally, I'd call the builder and have him fix it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle

Is the water at the top of the autofill bucket or at the top of where the float can be adjusted?

Mine is a brass valve with a float that can be raised and lowered quite a bit. I know others are more like the plastic toilet valves where the float is around a central shaft.
    plastic toilet float valve where it is a cylinder on the shaft.

looks like this

17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by march2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle

plastic toilet float valve where it is a cylinder on the shaft.
    Like figure E in my link?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

So, is your float connected to the thin vertical pin on the side all the way at the top, like in your picture you posted?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the same autofill, and that valve assembly has a coarse and fine adjustment. The "collet" lock, located midway up the central column is the coarse adjust and the threaded pin, to the right of the float, is the fine adjust.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by gtemkin
    I have the same autofill, and that valve assembly has a coarse and fine adjustment. The "collet" lock, located midway up the central column is the coarse adjust and the threaded pin, to the right of the float, is the fine adjust.

ah ok, Ill check, I was only adjusting the fine adjustment.

10. Back To Top    #10

[/quote]ah ok, Ill check, I was only adjusting the fine adjustment.[/quote]

You lift the locking collar which un-locks the telescoping column, then adjust the column up or down - up in your case - then push the locking column back down to lock the adjustment. It can be very hard to re-lock the collar, you may have to telescope the column a little one way up or down to get it to lock easier.

Good luck.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by gtemkin
    You lift the locking collar which un-locks the telescoping column, then adjust the column up or down - up in your case - then push the locking column back down to lock the adjustment. It can be very hard to re-lock the collar, you may have to telescope the column a little one way up or down to get it to lock easier.

Good luck.
    Hah I kept trying to turn the thing and nothing was happening. Thanks!

12. Back To Top    #12

.... - then push the locking column back down to lock the adjustment..
    Should have been....

.... - then push the locking collar back down to lock the adjustment..