New to Pools

Mar 28, 2013
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and have started on my reading. I'm sorry for the quick post but my pool is going in very soon and I have to let my builder know asap. At this time I am having a auto chlorination system being put into my inground pool (16x30) as apposed to the salt system. My builder wants an additional $3000 for a salt water system. Just looking for some solid advice. Is it worth the expense. Thank You for your help.
Johnny

Welcome to TFP!

A salt system should cost around $1000 to $1500 if installed as part of a build.

"auto chlorination" doesn't really specify anything specific. That could be a tablet feeder, which is kind of nice to have for occasional use but not suitable for long term regular use and shouldn't cost much at all, or it could be a liquid chlorine pump system, which can be quite good but isn't all that common, or a few other more obscure possibilities.

Welcome to TFP!

If the auto chlorination is just a puck feeder, we generally do not recommend extended use of them. As they cause the CYA to continually rise.

Fyi, most SWG systems cost less than $1000, plus the install (which is pretty simple if you are at all handy). You quote seems a bit high to me.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Welcome to tfp, Johnny LaRue :wave:

Johnny LaRue said:
Shouldn't it be lower if it is happening at the install time?
Yes, as JL said, a good estimate would be 1000-1500 installed.

Johnny LaRue said:
What's easier salt or chlorine?
Easier is hard to quantify...and just so we are on the same page, both are chlorine systems...the swg just creates "chlorine" by appling a voltage to the salt water as it passes by the electrodes. Both methods still require routine testing.
Personally, I like my swg since it allows me to leave the pool for a few days and still have chlorine being put into the pool. Additionally, I don't have to haul bleach jugs. As you already know the up front cost of the swg is high...and may not be made up entirely over the life of the cell (though some of us have).

Well the first thing you need to understand is that salt IS chlorine, it just uses electricity to separate the salt molecules into Sodium and Chloride ions, allowing the Chloride to disinfect the pool and remaining Chloride ions to recombine with the Sodium. SWG's (salt water generators) are generally less work, but operation and maintenance cost (replacing the SWG cells every so often) make them economically about equal with using liquid chlorine and manual dosing. Overall it is more of a lifestyle choice, do you mind going out with a jug of liquid chlorine and dosing the pool every day, or getting a chlorine dispenser pump and refilling its tank with a few gallons of liquid chlorine every week? Or do you prefer having an SWG that you will still need to monitor and test the water for a few times per week which may be more prone to mechanical failure, premature failure of the salt cell, etc. and of course the maintenance expense of replacing the cell occasionally (every couple of years or so depending on the model).

Ike

Once you get the SWG "tuned in" and you get the feel for it, you don't have to check your levels all that often. It's not uncommon for me to go a week or slightly more without ever testing my water, mainly because I travel. I find the FC is right on the nose at 5ppm, and usually I just have to add some muriatic acid.

Can you provide more details about your pool and equipment (pool-school/read_before_you_post)

I mean if your pool is going to be 100,000+ gallons, then maybe that $3000 quote is reasonable.
What system are they looking to put in? If it includes automation, then that would be higher too.
You could forgo the SWG, get a feel for maintaining the pool and decide later if you want to add it yourself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
The op said 16X30 in the first post, so I am assuming normal pool size, so unless the ops pool is 30' average depth, I would guess we are not talking 100k gallons :tongue: :mrgreen:

Maybe they are into scuba ... :hammer:

But still would be good to know what equipment is quoted

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.