Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: LED bulb in a T3 R7S Halogen socket? Bad idea?

1. Back To Top    #1

LED bulb in a T3 R7S Halogen socket? Bad idea?

I've got the standard halogen bulbs/fixtures in my pool and have been thinking about replacing them with an LED bulb.

I use these types of LED bulbs (they call them corn-cob) in things like my attic, garage door opener, etc. They are inexpensive, bright, reliable. I can get one that has the same 118mm base, the voltage, the R7S ends, should fit right in there, significant wattage savings and hopefully less replacing.

Am I missing anything here? Was concerned about heat - but the 500 watt halogens are CRAZY hot. Thoughts? I don't believe this poses any problems but I've been wrong before!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330877556556?var=540149032389
    11k IG Plaster, 2005 Triton TR-100 Sand filter, by Shasta Pools - probably built ~1997

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: LED bulb in a T3 R7S Halogen socket? Bad idea?

You can buy led pool bulbs. I put a color changing one into my pool for $250.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I know, but I'd rather by a $20 bulb and not go through the wiring pulls!
    11k IG Plaster, 2005 Triton TR-100 Sand filter, by Shasta Pools - probably built ~1997

4. Back To Top    #4

I did not pull wires. It was a screw in bulb that was designed for use in a sealed pool fixture.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Ah - thanks. My fixture is a T3/R7s fixture - unfortunately not a screw-in bulb.

6. Back To Top    #6

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like something like this one would work.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I can't tell for sure, but it looks like something like this one would work.
    That's exactly what I am looking at. Seems like it should work fine?

8. Back To Top    #8

Ah ... I see, I was totally thinking of a different bulb style obviously ... oops.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

As long as it fits in the enclosure and the reflector is large enough to reflect light from the back around the larger bulb assembly it will work just fine. It won't be as bright as a regular halogen however.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Okay - going to give it a try. I found a 12 watt, it is all facing in one direction - I had a 150 watt in there before and it was plenty bright enough, this will be dimmer, but there are 2 lights in the pool and tired of burning so much energy.

11. Back To Top    #11

LED's are generally about six times as efficient as incandescent lamps, so your 12W LED should be equivalent to a 75W incandescent bulb.
    8.5k gallon IG pebble sheen play pool with Intellitouch control, Intellifo VF, IC 20, Rainbow tab feeder (not currently in use), Pentaire mystery cartridge filter with labels faded to the point I have no idea on the model, Intellibrite 5g LED light, Hayward Navigator. Adding IntelliPh and Crestron control next.

12. Back To Top    #12

Hello, just came across your post doing research for the same. Have you used the LED replacement? If so, your thoughts as to light quality, intensity etc? I've got T3 R7S typel Halo in there right now (actually, a burnt/ broken one) and want to go LED, but I don't feel up to pulling new wire for complete fixture replacement.