Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re-filled pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Re-filled pool

New to forum, hope to find help.
    I just filled my in-ground, indoor, gunite with tile, pool with water from the well. At this point, I have a pH of about 8.7, TA of zero, Total Chlorine of ~10. Not sure what to do. I know I need TA, but am afraid that adding baking soda will raise the pH as well.

In the meantime, I have the heater running, with temperature of about 74 degrees.

I don't have any muratic acid on hand, nor any calcium chloride. I can get it,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Re-filled pool

Welcome to TFP!

It isn't possible to have TA at zero and PH above about 4.5. You could have TA close to zero and high PH, but the PH must be low by the time TA goes to zero. Also, the usual PH test can't measure PH above 8.2 or so. Together those factors make me wonder what you are using to get your test results. If your test results are not reliable, it is difficult to know what to do next.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I just did some more tests, probably more accurate.
    Results were: Calcium Hardness 70
    TA 200
    FC 5.5
    pH 8.2+

In the meantime, the pump blew a fuse, so I am shutdown for a while until I sort that out.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

dawsonjm,

One of the things we emphasize in pool management is accurate testing and your posts are good examples of just how wildly different results can be with test strips , pool store testing or expired reagents.

Have you used the well water as a fill source before? If not, you probably should get an iron test also, Iron is fairly common in well water and it's a real PITA to deal with in a pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to tfp, dawsonjm

Let us know if we can help on the pump issue.

As others have mentioned, it can not be stressed enough that accurate test results make all the difference in the world for simple pool chemistry. Have you read this pool school article?: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.