Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wiring a new Intermatic T10604R?

1. Back To Top    #1

Wiring a new Intermatic T10604R?

I'm replacing my old timer with a new intermatic T10604R control box. My question deals with the length of the original wires. The new box is larger and I don't think the heater wires that are connected to the 240V lines will be long enough to reach the terminals on the new timer. Will I be able to extend the length of the heater wires with wire nut junctions inside the box, or do I need to rewire the heater so the wires will be the proper length?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wiring a new Intermatic T10604R?

The best way to do it is of course to re-run the wires, but I assume you're talking about the firemans switch wires. If so it should be fine to lengthen them using wire nuts.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The heater has three wires entering the T104M timer box, one is a green ground wire that is connected with all the other ground wires, one red wire is connected to the #1 terminal along with the supply line, and the other red wire is connected to the #3 terminal along with the other supply line.

The ground wire will be fine to lengthen, but I'm not sure of the other wires.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

That sounds like the power wires for the heater. If that's the case, I would go to the extra trouble to extend those. Contrary to popular belief, the ground wire is the one to be the most concerned about. It needs to be connected with a split bolt connector and not just a wire nut.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Dave, I will take the time and follow your advice. I just want to make sure I have all the required wires and connectors before I start the new install. This box has a grounding bar with a locking screw for each individual ground wire. The old box had just one ground lug and all the ground wires were wire-nutted together with one wire running to the lug.