Broken check valve, missing spring

mfabel

Feb 11, 2013
San Diego
I was looking at my pool equipment this evening, and noticed through the viewing window of one of my Jandy check valves that the flapper piece was loose and was being pushed against the outlet of the valve. I shut things off, pulled the cover off the valve, and this is what I removed:

[attachment=0:2mcrk4sb]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364445367.775766.jpg[/attachment:2mcrk4sb]

One of the holes in the clear plastic lid where the pin goes was broken, and the pin and spring were nowhere to be found. The check valve was right after the filter and right before the three way valve for the solar system. My best guess is that the pin and spring flowed downstream and got caught in the heater.

I guess I need to order replacement parts. But should I be concerned about finding the pin and spring? Could they cause any problems floating around the system? Or significantly reduce flow?
Is this a common failure?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364445367.775766.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364445367.775766.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 59
I wouldn't think the loose parts would cause any harm. If it's easy to do, you may want to remove your return jets nozzles and cycle the pump several times to promote dislodging the pieces. If they pop out, great - otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.