Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broken check valve, missing spring

1. Back To Top    #1

San Diego

Broken check valve, missing spring

I was looking at my pool equipment this evening, and noticed through the viewing window of one of my Jandy check valves that the flapper piece was loose and was being pushed against the outlet of the valve. I shut things off, pulled the cover off the valve, and this is what I removed:

One of the holes in the clear plastic lid where the pin goes was broken, and the pin and spring were nowhere to be found. The check valve was right after the filter and right before the three way valve for the solar system. My best guess is that the pin and spring flowed downstream and got caught in the heater.

I guess I need to order replacement parts. But should I be concerned about finding the pin and spring? Could they cause any problems floating around the system? Or significantly reduce flow?
    Is this a common failure?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    23,000 gal. IG plaster pool with attached spa and solar heat. Intelliflo VS pump. Liquidator. Jandy AquaLink RS with iAquaLink and OneTouch controller.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Seattle, WA

Re: Broken check valve, missing spring

I wouldn't think the loose parts would cause any harm. If it's easy to do, you may want to remove your return jets nozzles and cycle the pump several times to promote dislodging the pieces. If they pop out, great - otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.