Ooops! I added an entire gallon of muriatic acid to my pool!

Mar 27, 2013
San Diego
Hi all,

I drained my 15,000 gallon in-ground pool to repair the drain cover and do some plaster repairs. After I filled the pool back up with water I misread the treatment directions and added 128 fluid ounces of muriatic acid to the new water. I later realized, according to the pool store printout, that I should have only added approximately 20 fluid ounces. I went back to the pool store and they recommended that I add 5 pounds of soda ash which I did. The next day I tested the pH and the results are listed as "ideal" at 7.4 so everything seems OK now, but I have a few questions. Where did all that muriatic acid go? Will it harm my pool or irritate swimmers skin and eyes? I read somewhere that muriatic acid can damage my pump and etch my plaster. So far I don't see any problems with the pump or with the plaster. The acid was in the pool for less than 24 hours before I brought the pH down. Is there anything I should be concerned about due to the high amount of muriatic acid that I added to the water? Any help please. --Thanks

Re: Ooops! I added an entire gallon of muriatic acid to my p

Welcome to TFP!!!

Well the MA lowered your pH and the soda ash raised it back up (while also raising your TA). If the pH is in the recommended range, then it will not be irritating.

Since you reacted fairly quickly, you likely did not do too much if any damage.

How did you add the acid? We recommend slowly pouring it in front of the pool return jet so it mixes into the bulk of the water and then leaving the pump on for about an hour. At that point, you could then re-test.

Thanks for your reply. I added the acid by walking around the pool spilling it out of the bottle mostly in the deep end. I held the bottle out as far as I could. It did create sort of a temorary acid cloud. It sounds like I don't have too much to worry about. Do you know what happens to muratic acid over time? Does it dissipate the chlorine seems to do?

doublerock said:
Thanks for your reply. I added the acid by walking around the pool spilling it out of the bottle mostly in the deep end. I held the bottle out as far as I could. It did create sort of a temorary acid cloud. It sounds like I don't have too much to worry about. Do you know what happens to muratic acid over time? Does it dissipate the chlorine seems to do?

I recommend adding your MA at a return jet, slowly. That way you avoid a concentrated pool of acid, as you saw with your cloud.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.