Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ooops! I added an entire gallon of muriatic acid to my pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

Ooops! I added an entire gallon of muriatic acid to my pool!

Hi all,

I drained my 15,000 gallon in-ground pool to repair the drain cover and do some plaster repairs. After I filled the pool back up with water I misread the treatment directions and added 128 fluid ounces of muriatic acid to the new water. I later realized, according to the pool store printout, that I should have only added approximately 20 fluid ounces. I went back to the pool store and they recommended that I add 5 pounds of soda ash which I did. The next day I tested the pH and the results are listed as "ideal" at 7.4 so everything seems OK now, but I have a few questions. Where did all that muriatic acid go? Will it harm my pool or irritate swimmers skin and eyes? I read somewhere that muriatic acid can damage my pump and etch my plaster. So far I don't see any problems with the pump or with the plaster. The acid was in the pool for less than 24 hours before I brought the pH down. Is there anything I should be concerned about due to the high amount of muriatic acid that I added to the water? Any help please. --Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ooops! I added an entire gallon of muriatic acid to my p

Welcome to TFP!!!

Well the MA lowered your pH and the soda ash raised it back up (while also raising your TA). If the pH is in the recommended range, then it will not be irritating.

Since you reacted fairly quickly, you likely did not do too much if any damage.

How did you add the acid? We recommend slowly pouring it in front of the pool return jet so it mixes into the bulk of the water and then leaving the pump on for about an hour. At that point, you could then re-test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your reply. I added the acid by walking around the pool spilling it out of the bottle mostly in the deep end. I held the bottle out as far as I could. It did create sort of a temorary acid cloud. It sounds like I don't have too much to worry about. Do you know what happens to muratic acid over time? Does it dissipate the chlorine seems to do?

4. Back To Top    #4

The chemical reaction when it hits the water makes the "muriatic acid" disappear pretty much instantly, leaving a pool full of acidic water. Then you added the soda ash to counteract the low pH. You're good, don't worry about it.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome. Thanks!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to tfp, doublerock

You can also use http://www.poolcalculator.com to calculate your chemical additions like many of us here on this site do.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by doublerock
    Thanks for your reply. I added the acid by walking around the pool spilling it out of the bottle mostly in the deep end. I held the bottle out as far as I could. It did create sort of a temorary acid cloud. It sounds like I don't have too much to worry about. Do you know what happens to muratic acid over time? Does it dissipate the chlorine seems to do?
    I recommend adding your MA at a return jet, slowly. That way you avoid a concentrated pool of acid, as you saw with your cloud.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!