New Pool - Question about TA

Mar 27, 2013
Dallas, TX
Just got a new pool put in my house and my PB says that I don't need to worry about TA right now and just to focus on pH and FC. They're telling me that the TA will level itself out. I've been doing a ton of research over the past week, and I'm starting to think that the PB is incorrect and I DO need to get my TA correct now so I'm not wasting the acid that I keep adding to the pool (a couple times a week - which I hear is normal for a new pool). That being said, I'm still a noob so I figured I'd ask you guys.

Here are the current readings as of today (using my Taylor 2006 kit) -
FC - 1.5 (0 combined)
pH - 7.6-7.7
CYA - 30ish
TA - 40-50
I'm in Dallas so the temp is 60-70 outside and the pool temp is about 50-53 degrees.

Pool Details
15k in-ground pool and spa w/ dark blue pebbletec finish
Pentair DE Filter
Pentair VS+SVRS Pump

Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Doh. Had a response written and lost it ... time to start over.

TA is a buffer to pH. When it is high, it will tend to make the pH rise more quickly. When it is low, the pH will swing more wildly. You are on the low side.

The pool surface will continue to make the pH rise, so you will have to add acid, but the acid will also lower your TA even more.
So I would suggest raising the TA to about 80ppm and then continue to monitor the pH ... use the poolcalculator.com to determine how much baking soda is needed to raise the TA.

Here are the levels we recommend:
pool-school/recommended_levels

Also note the with a CYA of 30ppm, you should NEVER let the FC drop below 2ppm see:
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

So boost the FC up to 4-5ppm every day to ensure it never drops below 2ppm.

Also I did not see a CH level ... that is pretty important to watch for a new pool as well.

Got it. Thanks for the quick response.

Can I literally just go out and buy a big thing of baking soda? The pool store down the street has an Alkalinity Increaser. Are they both the same thing?

With regards to the FC/CYA thing - I should have noted that I have that Fusion 2 mineral system installed in my system too. From what I understand that allows me to use less chlorine and therefore have lower FC levels - Is that correct or should I still be at 2+ on my FC level?

I didn't check the CH, but I will be tonight. That should be in the 300ish range, correct?

Well, the pool store likely has fancier packaging if you care about that ... of course you will be paying extra for the fanciness. If you want to verify just look at the ingredients on the package. We also recommend just using bleach you buy at Walmart or the grocery store as it is the cheapest way to add FC to the pool.

Just read the rest of your post :shock:
We do NOT recommend the use of the mineral systems. For 1, they are stupid expensive to refill. For 2, all they are doing is adding metals like copper to your water. The copper does act as an algaecide, BUT it also carries a high risk of staining your pool and turning blond hair green if the copper level gets too high. Even with that system you have to add chlorine (so you have sanitizer in the bulk water) ... well if you are adding chlorine and keep it at the levels we recommended, algae can not grow, so why pay of the minerals and the risks they bring?

I would recommend ... removing the mineral system and sticking with the methods you can learn about here and by reading Pool School (button at the upper right).

Excellent. I'm getting more and more ****** that my PB talked me out of getting a SWG. How can I test for metals in the water? How long does it usually take for the copper levels to get high enough to mess up the pool - or more importantly - my female's hair?

Where can I get 8-9lbs of baking soda? That's a lot of baking soda... I definitely do NOT need fancy packaging. Haha.

You can get the baking soda at any grocery store. In some Walmart stores I think, Arm and Hammer has actually started putting it into larger packages in the pool aisle.

The metal tests kits are expensive. Best to let the pool store test it for you ... but don't trust there tests of anything else. Best investiment you can make is to order one of the test kits we recommend and take control of our pool through accurate testing and knowledge gained from reading Pool School.

Hard to say how long it takes for the metals to get too high, but being a new pool there is no way it is too high already.

Lithium406 said:
Excellent. I'm getting more and more ****** that my PB talked me out of getting a SWG. How can I test for metals in the water? How long does it usually take for the copper levels to get high enough to mess up the pool - or more importantly - my female's hair?

Where can I get 8-9lbs of baking soda? That's a lot of baking soda... I definitely do NOT need fancy packaging. Haha.
Costco has big bags of Arm & Hammer. With my fill water, I never need to add any, so I've never checked the price.

I see two things that need doing: stop that fancy mineral pack, and get yourself a good test kit.

Cool. I'll check out Costco. Worst Case scenario, I guess I could just get nine of the 1lb boxes. Haha.

I'm going to yank the mineral pack tonight, and I'll crank up the chlorine dial to a higher number so I'm pushing more in.

I've already got a good test kit - Taylor 2006 one. I was using a Pentair one, but it was kind of a beating so I read up and got the Taylor one.

So are you using a tablet feeder to add the chlorine?

I hate to say we do not recommend those either. The reason is the tablets are adding FC and CYA and lowering the pH. The FC is consumed, the CYA builds up. Eventually the tablets will not provide enough FC as the CYA levels get higher and higher and then the pool will go green; requiring you to partially drain the pool to lower the CYA level and then go through the shock process.

Right now you are OK with a CYA of 30 ppm. You could use the pucks for awhile until the CYA approaches 50ppm, but at that point you will have to stop and switch to liquid chlorine.

Yep. I figured that out after doing a lot of research earlier this week. Again, I'm not too happy that my PB talked me out of a saltwater system. In fact, I've got an email into the owner now... we'll see what happens.

I'm going to be keeping a close eye on the CYA levels for that exact reason.

I just threw the baking soda in the pool, how long do I need to wait until I retest it - 3-4 hours/wait until tomorrow?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.