Will 1hp pump suffice?

Jul 18, 2012
I purchased a new Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed to replace an older Power-Flo LX 1.5HP pump. My pool/filter info:
Pool: 18x36x52" Lomart above ground
Filter: Hayward S180T

Somehow my cart got screwed up with ama zon and I ended up with the the 1.0HP SP15922S instead of the 1.5HP SP15932S which I intended to buy since it matched my current pump in HP. I wanted to move to a 2-Speed to save some money and be able to run it on low most of the time. My question is, since I ended up ordering the 1.0HP, will this pump end up working just fine, performing similar to the old LX pump I have been using or do I need to look at doing a return/exchange?

Thanks for any input you can give!
cmacrun

Welcome to TFP!!!

Do you have any high flow needs (water features, solar, etc?) If not, the 1HP should be fine ... in fact saving you more electricity even on high speed. You flow rate will be a little lower, but that will not hurt anything and in fact will improve the filters performance.

Thanks Jason!

That was one of my main motivations with switching to a two speed and a matrix pump at that, to save electricity. The only thing I have besides filtering is solar heat, but I have it right by the filter pump, not on the roof, etc. I do use a SWG (Intex) too, but I can't see how that would create resistance...diameter is the same based on how I have it plumbed.

This will be the second full season that we will have had this pool (received it free from a friend a couple years ago if we agreed to take it down and move it) so I'm still learning. I haven't had to post anything until today, but have read many, many helpful posts on this site! Great to have a place where you can ask questions and people aren't motivated to make a sale. Thanks again!

One of the things you will often hear about at TFP is that pool stores typically sell "too much pump, not enough filter" per what would be TFP standards - this is often called "pool stored" :) . You might have even been able to get by with a 3/4 HP pump - but if what you have is working well - leave it alone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.