DE Filter Pressure

Oct 9, 2009
Plano, TX
Hey guys. I have a Hayward DE filter and Im having some issues. A month ago the pressure on my filter was getting high indicating it needed a cleaning. I cleaned it just as I always do and initially the pressure indicated the normal clean level (~7psi) so I figured everything was good. After about an hour the pressure shot up to ~25 and the flow coming out of the returns noticibly decreased.

I did some reading and it appeared an cleaning/acid wash was in order. Soaked filter in large trash can with soap for 4 hours, rinsed then soaked in 1 gallon of muriatic acid with the rest filled with water. Soaked in the acid for 12 hours. Reassembled and again the pressure increased to ~25psi within an hour.

A couple of other things worth mentioning....
1) I have noticed on occasion the filter not filtering properly, I will see DE coming out of the return. If I shut it off and back on then it is fine.
2) Backwashing appears to do very little. I dont see murky water when backwashing like I usually do. However, backwashing and rinsing a couple times will reduce the pressure back down to normal levels for about 10 minutes before it shoots back up.
3) due to the inability to filter lately, my pool has a lot of Crud in it. All of my chem levels are in line though Chlorine, CYA, PH.
4) I have high calcium levels (last time i measured it was 400+)

Id appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Thanks!

my pool has a lot of **** in it.
That's probably what is cloggin your filter even though you can't see it. You may have algae (which can be invisible) starting to bloom and your filter is trying to get it out for you.

Anytime your filter starts at normal psi and then quickly clogs (psi increase) that almost always means your filter is working fine and that it is junk in your water that is clogging it.

If you can post a set of current test results ("in line" isn't really very helpful) and tell us how your water looks, it will be very useful in helping to find out what's in your water.

This was my first thought as well. I definitely had an algae problem during the first pressure issue so I shocked it at a level of 20FC with 50CYA to clear it up. I am now sitting at 7FC 50CYA. I wouldnt say it is clear just because of all of the leaves and stuff at the bottom but I have been running the pump on recirculate so my polaris can pick up the debris. Ill do another shock and see what happens. Thanks for your input!

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. If you follow that process, which may take several days and you will have to get the debris out of your pool manually or with a vac, then I think your filter problems will be over.

Thanks Bama for your reply, Ill look over the manifold closely.

Im still curious though, will cracked grids cause a pressure increase? It seems the cracked grids were allowing water to bypass the mesh filter and this explains seeing debris coming out the returns. However I would think this would cause a low pressure scenario, correct? Either way, Ill replace the grids and hopefully things will be better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.