Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Filter Pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Filter Pressure

Hey guys. I have a Hayward DE filter and Im having some issues. A month ago the pressure on my filter was getting high indicating it needed a cleaning. I cleaned it just as I always do and initially the pressure indicated the normal clean level (~7psi) so I figured everything was good. After about an hour the pressure shot up to ~25 and the flow coming out of the returns noticibly decreased.

I did some reading and it appeared an cleaning/acid wash was in order. Soaked filter in large trash can with soap for 4 hours, rinsed then soaked in 1 gallon of muriatic acid with the rest filled with water. Soaked in the acid for 12 hours. Reassembled and again the pressure increased to ~25psi within an hour.

A couple of other things worth mentioning....
    1) I have noticed on occasion the filter not filtering properly, I will see DE coming out of the return. If I shut it off and back on then it is fine.
    2) Backwashing appears to do very little. I dont see murky water when backwashing like I usually do. However, backwashing and rinsing a couple times will reduce the pressure back down to normal levels for about 10 minutes before it shoots back up.
    3) due to the inability to filter lately, my pool has a lot of **** in it. All of my chem levels are in line though Chlorine, CYA, PH.
    4) I have high calcium levels (last time i measured it was 400+)

Id appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Thanks!
    15000 IG Gunite Plaster
    Hayward DE4820
    1.5 HP Century Centurion
    PB4 3/4 HP Booster Pump
    Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: DE Filter Pressure

my pool has a lot of **** in it.
    That's probably what is cloggin your filter even though you can't see it. You may have algae (which can be invisible) starting to bloom and your filter is trying to get it out for you.

Anytime your filter starts at normal psi and then quickly clogs (psi increase) that almost always means your filter is working fine and that it is junk in your water that is clogging it.

If you can post a set of current test results ("in line" isn't really very helpful) and tell us how your water looks, it will be very useful in helping to find out what's in your water.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

This was my first thought as well. I definitely had an algae problem during the first pressure issue so I shocked it at a level of 20FC with 50CYA to clear it up. I am now sitting at 7FC 50CYA. I wouldnt say it is clear just because of all of the leaves and stuff at the bottom but I have been running the pump on recirculate so my polaris can pick up the debris. Ill do another shock and see what happens. Thanks for your input!
    15000 IG Gunite Plaster
    Hayward DE4820
    1.5 HP Century Centurion
    PB4 3/4 HP Booster Pump
    Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. If you follow that process, which may take several days and you will have to get the debris out of your pool manually or with a vac, then I think your filter problems will be over.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok so I have shocked the pool and the FC has stabilized at 8FC 50CYA. I am still having pressure problems and I have also noticed that particles of debris are coming out of the return. Any ideas?
    15000 IG Gunite Plaster
    Hayward DE4820
    1.5 HP Century Centurion
    PB4 3/4 HP Booster Pump
    Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

When you say you have "shocked the pool" did you follow our shocking process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes I did follow the process. I just took the grid apart and noticed that most of the plastic connectors that hook into the manifold are cracked. Im guessing this is the problem.
    15000 IG Gunite Plaster
    Hayward DE4820
    1.5 HP Century Centurion
    PB4 3/4 HP Booster Pump
    Polaris 280

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok so I am going to replace the grids. Is there anything else I should replace at this time? Also I have not service or done anything with the multi valve. Is there anything to be done there. Thanks guys for your help.
    15000 IG Gunite Plaster
    Hayward DE4820
    1.5 HP Century Centurion
    PB4 3/4 HP Booster Pump
    Polaris 280

9. Back To Top    #9

As long as there are no cracks in the manifolds I'd just replace the grids.
    As for the multiport, you can take the top off it and inspect the spider gasket while the filter is down, but that's optional.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Bama for your reply, Ill look over the manifold closely.

Im still curious though, will cracked grids cause a pressure increase? It seems the cracked grids were allowing water to bypass the mesh filter and this explains seeing debris coming out the returns. However I would think this would cause a low pressure scenario, correct? Either way, Ill replace the grids and hopefully things will be better.
    15000 IG Gunite Plaster
    Hayward DE4820
    1.5 HP Century Centurion
    PB4 3/4 HP Booster Pump
    Polaris 280

11. Back To Top    #11

The cracked grids won't contribute to a pressure increase but they may not necessarily cause it to decrease either.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit