Our Newly Remodeled Plaster Has A Skin Disease

exbcmc

May 1, 2012
Arcadia, Ca
Hi all, if you recall we had our '59 vintage pool remodeled just about 8 months ago? White plaster, ALL brand new salt system, new plumbing, you name it. All was great, but I noticed what I thought were small blotches of algae, or, iron, or something on the side of the pool. Each time my pool guy came I expected that perhaps his brushing the sides would make it go away. (He comes when I'm at work)
I was off the other day and spoke with him. He said he did see it and really does not know what it is. Thought poss our water was having some type of "reaction" with the plaster. Then he brought to my attention the fact that the bottom, by the drains, is beginning to "blotch." If you can imagine the skin disease Michael Jackson had, that is kinda what our plaster is starting to look like. Slowly spreading throughout the pool.

Any thoughts?

By the way, there is a VERY good chance the entire pool is going to be demo'd, due to the fact "someone" blew it when they made the step/island in the deep end about 6 inches too high. No one can get out! The contractor has agreed to redo the job, gratis. He really is a good builder and we've been happy except for this problem. I'd post pics but I'm not techy.

Thank you all.

It would be helpful to post pictures and a full set of test results.

You can try testing it:

First I would try resting a trichlor puck on it for a few minutes and see if it lightens. If it does , then it is likely an organic and the shocking process will fix that.

If the above does not work, then try a sock with some crushed up vitamin c tablets in it held to the area. If it changes/lightens then it is likely a metal such as iron and for that you can do an ascorbic acid treatment.

If neither works, then it could be calcium scaling, a full set of water tests would help us to determine if you are at risk for that.

If the pool is going to be demoed, I would still get to the bottom of the issue now, since it may effect how you do your fill once the pool is redone.

exbcmc said:
PS, when you say a "full set" of water testing, does my pool man do that? Do I take the water to a pool store, ie Leslies etc?

Ideally it means you have your own test kit, either the K2006 or the TF100, which is going to be the best way for you to maintain your pool.

The value of pool store testing is basically what it costs ... 0.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.