Strange noise on Hayward Northstar

aem

Mar 1, 2012
My Hayward Northstar SP4000 with a newly added SN1152R motor is making a strange noise that seems to come and go every 30-45 seconds on the high speed. It sounds like air running through the pump or a whooshing noise. I took a video of it with my phone but I think I might be too close to the pump because it doesn't sound as loud as it does on the youtube clip below. The impeller is original but every other part in the pump has been replaced within the past 2 years. It made this noise before the new motor but I always blamed it on the failing motor. Any ideas? Thanks!

http://youtu.be/UUBkUdvhm8U

Thanks! I've lurked here for a while and have learned a lot of great info!

There is not any air or bubbles in the pump basket. The pump basket was empty and so was the leaf basket ahead of the pump. I've been cleaning the filter cartridges every other day this past week due to the amount of algae I had in there thanks to my neighbors dirty tree and 2 months of not having a working pump. Filter PSI reading is showing normal for a clean cartridges so I'm wondering if there is a restriction filter side in the in floor cleaner water actuator valve? I'm going to take that apart after work tonight.

I'll have to double check but I want to say it's around 19psi normally. I believe the psi went up 1-2 during the noise but it was dark and I was ****** off that the noise was there. I'll check that tonight.

A picture of your pad equipment might be useful.

Just to confirm, you said the noise and varying filter pressure occurred before the motor replacement correct?

When taking the video, how was the plumbing configured (e.g. cleaner attached, skimmer open, main drain open, etc)?

When you replaced the motor, did you inspect the impeller and diffuser for any damage?

Specifically, did you look at the brass nut inside the impeller to make sure it was secure?

Also, did you replace the impeller ring when you replaced the motor?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.